LOVE is the sign

by LouBelle 30 Replies latest jw friends

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    This brother again went on about how we are all unified 'cos we all study the same publications at the same time....What other religion does this

The entire catholic church will read the same biblical texts tomorrow, and every Sunday, for about two thousand years

- admittedly, they don't have the blessing of those watchtowers to "explain" it all to them.

• I quit!
    I quit!

This brother again went on about how we are all unified 'cos we all study the same publications at the same time....What other religion does this.

Years ago a friend loaned me a copy of Persers Proof, the trial in Scotand in 1954 where Fred Franz had to testify. It was a real eye-opener for me. He was asked about unity in the Watchtower. The prosecutor asked him something about if a witness could be df's for not going along with something they taught. (I don't remember what it was) He said they could. He was the ask if he felt the person should still have been df'd even thought the belief was later changed. He said it was the proper thing to do.(all paraphrased here) Then Freddy said you don't understand, we must have unity. The prosecutor then asked: unity at all cost? Freddy said yes unity at all cost.

It is a religion of lemmings. What did Jesus say about the blind leading the blind? Yes they all read the same books and all believe the same wrong things. If they were allowed to do their own thinking then maybe have of them would be right instead of all being wrong.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Love is something we find on our own and not through my mythological tale. Love can be taped without ever knowing who the Jesus was and that is because we were born to love and learn to hate.

• talesin
    talesin

Something another poster said about kindness of strangers ... drove your point home with me.

In the KH, there are a few givers .... they give, give, give,,, but I have seen so little real charity ... I've seen people have their house burn to the ground while at the meeting, no insurance, too poor, and did the JWs (many contractors there, too) build them a house? hahahahaha, NOT!!! Not even an offer of a house-building if they provided the materials ... phhhttt!!!

No love lost there ...

LouBelle, you did exactly the right thing when dealing with deniers, didn't let them change the subject. You kept asking the same question over and over. You didn't let them play on your emotions, either. A friend suggested the same thing to me, when we discussed how that friend dealt with the cult (raised in a different extreme so-called Xtian relijun, no more info-confidentiality).

Right on!

t

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Just fascinating. I've sat on commitees before and none were for apostasy so to speak. There were two DA's I sat in on. Both of which we refused to accept the letters as valid until we met with and spoke to the individuals. The one said, Now I can do all the stuff I've been denying myself, movies and stuff." Very young but very observant. The other faded and we had to read the letter without meeting with them.

Whenever I would stress the undeserved Kindness through Christ and not the "SERVICE" I was nearly censured by the body. I would make statements like, "If you put in 150 hours a month but dont approach the elderly in the congregation to mow thier lawn you are wasting your time." Wow, the older ones loved me but the younger "Company" men thought I was a malcontent. Now I don't care if they fall into a hole. (the company men I mean.)

Pharasee = legalistic WTBTS=Legal entity WTBTS=Pharasee.

W.Once

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Unity by an imposed doctrine is a poor substitute for love.

Big as they are on the headship trip, it's no wonder that there is little love in the heirarchical organization that is the WTS. We can say there is a unity (which is a perfectly good word outside of the context of that experience, of course) between the mind and the heart as far as how it functions, which is only a reflection of how love works, you might say. Considering that such an organization is so "top-heavy" in it's imposed unity, it is clearly not unified in this sense nor is such unification present in the individuals taking the lead, as seen in the different experiences. In fact, as an organization one might ask where the heart of the WTS is at.

But at a certain point we need to move past this little group identification anyway. Yes there are those Christians who have love amongst themselves, that's one kind of identification, but what does that other scripture say: "If you only love those loving you, what reward do you have?" It's not a big deal for any unified group to have it amongst themselves, if it doesn't touch anyone else. Similarly there are no doubt love among those here who share a similar experience with the JW past, perhaps even more so if you share a current way of thinking or whatever. Quite natural of course, but in itself it is just limited. If we "widen out" (yeah I know that part is a bit too JWish ) we might even find we don't need to have people who understand our past in this way, love itself is enough.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The WT does a fair job in talking about love, the following is typical

g86 1/22 p. 5 Pursue Peace With Your Neighbor ***
    Don’t be timid. Reach out to others. Your friendliness will usually draw a similar response from them. Feelings are contagious. Feel what you want others to feel. Act as you want others to act. Treat others as you want to be treated. Sow what you want to reap. Be yourself. Be honest. Be genuinely interested in others, caring about others, being of service to others.

The problem is in doing it. It will come down to individual gut feeling, the kind ones are kind, the cool ones are cool.. The workload of duties that must be seen to be done can easily crowd out kind works

Some oldies get all the help, if they are always smiling, appreciative and 'spiritual' , if not they may quickly left alone

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    In my JC meeting I kept on at the elders about Love. That there was no love being shown in the congregations & even toward me on how they were dealing with the whole situation & towards my mother. I mentioned that there were only 2 commandments given to us - 1. to love God & 2. to love our neighbour.

When I had my meeting (one of several) with the elders about them being wrong about 607, they said that I shouldn't be focussing on details, and I should be more loving.
    'Love' is a drawcard they play when it suits them.

• bebu
    bebu
    It's not a big deal for any unified group to have it amongst themselves, if it doesn't touch anyone else. Similarly there are no doubt love among those here who share a similar experience with the JW past, perhaps even more so if you share a current way of thinking or whatever. Quite natural of course, but in itself it is just limited. If we "widen out" (yeah I know that part is a bit too JWish ) we might even find we don't need to have people who understand our past in this way, love itself is enough.

Mark, I agree with you wholeheartedly!!!! Very well said!!

bebu

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

someone wanted to know what my JC was about - The fact that I had gone to another church & started doubting the beliefs, but I noticed how they tried to chop and change so I had to focus on something & since they teach the are the truth & the identifying mark is love - I chose to focus on that.

I know my story is not unique & I know there have been many that have been treated far worse, it's just wonderful to share & not be judged. Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit