Evidence for the Exodus?

by Cardinal Fang 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cardinal Fang
    Cardinal Fang

One for the historians here...

Was round visiting my JW mother and bro (who stays with my folks when he's in the area working) the other night. The conversation swung round to a documentary they'd been watching on video earlier that evening, supposedly putting forward all sorts of archaeological evidence for the Exodus, including coral-encrusted remains of chariots at the bottom of the Red Sea, no less.

(All the while, I'm studiedly saying nothing and experiencing that low-level gut discomfort I always get whenever my family start talking JW stuff when I'm around - maybe it's because deep down I know it's da troof )

I can't help thinking that if all this was legit (esp the chariots) it'd be all over the news, but it's the first I've heard of it (seashells up mountains as proof of the Flood, anyone?). Just wondered if anybody else'd come across this documentary my folks were going on about, or anything that sounds like it.

PS. I also avoided mentioning the heaps of legitimate, documented evidence that blows 607 out of the water

• robhic
    robhic
    I can't help thinking that if all this was legit (esp the chariots) it'd be all over the news, but it's the first I've heard of it (seashells up mountains as proof of the Flood, anyone?).

Can't say as I've heard about the chariots (although I'd expect it to be bogus...) but the sea shells are fairly easily explained away by the upheaval of the earth due to plate tectonics. What was once sea bed or shoreline is pushed up over millions of years (like when mountains are formed) and presto! you have mountains with sea shells on top.

I'm sure other more learned folks can and will give you much more information but I know I've seen someone post a site that put some numbers to a lot of the Old Testament travels and when viewed from a logical perspective they are impossible to believe. The numbers are so huge that any mass transit of Israelites is suspect due to the sizes required plus there is no single piece or pieces of archaelogical evidence that supports any of those fairy tales.

Robert

• badboy
    badboy

There were some supposedly faked pictures of chariots.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Cardinal Fang - I'm quite happy to believe that a lot of the stuff in the bible is based on fact thats way so much of it got written down - doesn't mean God did it.

I can believe sodom and gomorah existed and got dumped on by a volcano.

I can believe there was a flood that covered much of the inhabited earth - owing to an ice age or similar.

I can believe there was such a long period of drought that no one in Noah's day remembered rain or rainbows.

And I can believe that at one point the red sea might have been dry and that a battle took place on its bed and that there might be chariots there.

What I can't believe is that JWs have the "troof" about the past the present and the future.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

yes, a lot of things may be believable, but however... there is NO evidence for israel's exodus from egypt.

on the contrary, a greek historian in the 3rd or 4th century b.c. (just off my head, you could easily look it up) - although this one is pretty biased - wrote that a bunch of sick poor people were THROWN OUT of egypt.

all the stories like the fall of jericho never happened. israel evolved from some nomad canaanite tribes, some midianite shepards don't know what else...

i bet you could find some good books on this topic on amazon, regrettably i only know german books on this topic.

• zagor
    zagor

That story has been around for some time, ever since Adventist Ron Wyatt first published it. In fact, there's a web site where you can purchase the copy of the video http://www.arkdiscovery.com/

• jula71
    jula71

You have to consider the time it was written, also people haven't changed. When something bad or good happens, god did it. Chariots may have been crossing between flood stages, which is common. Then the water came, natural cycle or miracle? Last week I found $10 next to car after I pulled into a parking space, god, luck, or good fortune? It's all about perspective. Most bible stories do have a historical element of truth......but the use of "god" as the cause.....writers perspective.

• clarrie
    clarrie

Hello Everyone

I am interested in Egyptology and Pharoah Akhenaten and thought you would enjoy this

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/moses.htm

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

That was a really interesting article clarrie, thanks!

GBL

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

here is the source:

http://wyattmuseum.com/red-sea-crossing-04.htm

Ron Wyatt, not exactly a respected archaeologist. and i would venture that he is even more kooky than other bible archaeologists who dig with trowel in one hand and bible in the other. he doesn't "find" things, but rather they are "revealed" to him.

plus, coral has a very hard time forming in the red sea. any wood or bones would have disolved before coral was able to form.

if you look really close you can see "fireandbrimstone" written on the tire. LOL

"oh look! a shinny metal object on the floor of the red sea! it must have been from the exodus!"

alt

looks to me like the steering wheel from an arab yatch and a rock sitting on top of it.

Here's one claim about Ron Wyatt, who died in 1999:

"One of his more recent excavations led him to find the 'Ark of the Covenant' which is linked to actual site of the Crucifixion of Jesus. This included finding dried blood which when tested, was like no other blood ever found before on this earth. "

LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit