I'm giving plasma tomorrow!!

by Frog 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Frog
    Frog

Well actually I'm giving the whole bit, plasma, platelets, while/red cells...for the first time and I'm very excited! Sounds very massochistic, but it's not for the love of pain, it's just that it's taken me so long to become mentally ofe' with it. I've had a mental block about it for so long, but have gradually enabled myslef to overcome it by educating myself more fully on the subject. The history of bloody transfusions is pretty sordid, and the capitalists who have made tones of money at the expense of the health of others makes me scoff, but the process has come a long way over that time. I'm not even sure that I feel donating blood is a part of one's civil duty, who knows I might not even do it again after this. For me it's just the satisfaction that I've overcome the dodgey indoctrinated view that I once had, and that feels pretty darn good, even if needles don't frog

post script: I signed up last week for the organ doner registry too, took me ages to overcome my personal view of the body to be comfortable to sign up:)

• blondie
    blondie

Good for you, frog. Yes, if we will accept transplants or blood, we should think seriously about signing up and donating (barring any physical limitations).

I am designated an organ donor and am on a 2-month blood donation schedule (evidently I have the popular grade (smile)

Congratulations, Blondie

• Frog
    Frog

Thats great Blondie:)...I'll see how I go tomorrow, if all goes well I'll put myself on a regular donation schedule. I'm quite excited about finding out for the first time what blood type I am, nothing too unusual I hope? Like green frogs blood;)

I'm guessing Blondie that you're either nocturnal, have a touch of insomnia, or have just worked out that the best threads start popping up around this time?

My eyes are just about hanging out of my heads, and I'm starting to leave out whole words from sentences, must be just about time to sign off I think.

• blondie
    blondie

I never sleep.

• Frog
    Frog

Wow, there must be something in that cause you're posts are so succinct and insightful! Sleep for me is a precious commodity, definitely not highly overrated at all! zzzzz...as head hits keyboard

• jula71
    jula71
    (evidently I have the popular grade (smile)

Does that mean, Blondie of the O- class??

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm O Positive so they love it when I come in.

Hey Froggie, your next step is to try donating platelets.

• Frog
    Frog

Else are you being sarcastic?!? I'm too tired I just can't tell! Did I say something dumbo about blood up there, when I went on pretending I knew it's composition?!! They can extract just plasma right, can they just extract platelets? I spose I'd better keep something, since I'm giving the rest of it away:)

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Good for you! I gave blood in March this year, first time. But in May I tried to and my iron count was too low. I do plan to sign up to be an organ donor.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

hehe... no, I'm serious. You may have to wait a few weeks after donating blood before you can donate platelets, but yes, they are able to separate them out and return your blood back to you. There are many people who need platelets for different medical conditions.

The process can be a little intimidating at first, but don't worry about it, you'll be fine. The way it works is they put a line into one arm that takes the blood out and passes it through a machine that separates the platelets out and then the blood is returned in another line in your other arm. Basically one line going out and one line going in.

The process also takes about 45 minutes, so you usually have to schedule an appointment. Also, make sure they have some Tums (the antacid) and a warm blanket. For them to remove the platelets they have to give you an anticoagulant to prevent your blood from clotting during the process and as a side effect the anticoagulant removes the calcium from your blood. Most donation centers keep a bottle of Tums around as a way to replace to calcium that is lost. The calcum loss also makes you fill chilly, which is why the blanket is important.

Give it a try!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit