Update on Dad

by muse 8 Replies latest jw friends

• muse
    muse

Hi All

I posted recently asking for support (which I got tons of - thanks) as Dad was going to have an operation to remove a cancerous polyp in the colon. Well, last weekend he got rung up and told to get to the hospital fast - they had found a clot in a vein in the chest. As the clots were caused by the polyp they decided to operate last Sunday. I am pleased to tell you all that he is fine. There was minimal blood loss and his haemaglobin was only down slightly. We still have to wait to see what the results show, and what type of cancer it is but the relief he has survived this operation is immense. I also think those surgeons are amazing to be able to keep that blood loss down with a four hour open abdominal operation!!

While I was at the hospital the Presiding Overseer rang - he was very sweet and has insisted Mum gets lifts to and from the hospital from other witnesses. I also spoke to other witnesses I had known years ago on the phone and they were all very nice. I was surprised considering what a 'rebel' I had been - maybe its because its been so long - or maybe they are realising things for themselves. I say that because Mum told me how three elders stepped down - these were elders around my Dad's age - and the reason was that they were keeping in touch with their children who were either disfellowshipped or 'fallen away'. They did not want to 'shun' anymore. I have always said that it was unnatural to cut off your family like the Society encourage and in the end people will see through it - looks like its happening. Mum also told me that the 1914 generation change shook a lot of the 'older' ones. I also think that had a lot to do with it. Apparently the congregation dwindled so much in attendance that more young pioneers were brought in to boost the numbers back up!

So thanks again everyone for your support - it has made such a difference to me to know there are so many other people who have been through what I have and means a lot.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hey muse - I'm glad that everything went off well. I hope your dad makes a full recovery!!! All the best in your journey called life.

• Frog
    Frog

Hi Muse, wonderful news on your father, sounds like he's got plenty of fight left in him yet! It must have been a little strange being in contact with your ex-dub acquaintances again, don't know how I'd be in that situation. Good to hear that they treated you with the respect and dignity you deserve:)

It's good too to know that the men "taking the lead" in the jw congo's have a heart after all with respects to their children. Children can certainly be a reality check for parents, especially those that have a mind of their own like those of us here:)

Take care, and take heart:) Frog xx

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Hi Muse!

I'm so glad that everything went so well! Thanks for your update and sharing your good news.

hugs,

Annie

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Hi Muse,

I am glad your Dad is doing better and that everyone has been nice to you while you are helping to care for him.

WG

• jgnat
    jgnat

Glad to hear it. I know you were really worried.

• Es
    Es

Hi muse im so glad all is well or as well as it can be. Keep us posted es

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Hello Muse. It must be a great relief for you that the operation went so well. I wish your father a speedy recovery.

I was surprised to read of the attitude of the older ones concerning the 1914 issue - but I suppose every new generation that comes along can dismiss the former teachings more easily, (as I think we all have at some point).

• Netty
    Netty
    I am pleased to tell you all that he is fine. There was minimal blood loss and his haemaglobin was only down slightly

That is just wonderful news. My thoughts are wth you and your family.

- and the reason was that they were keeping in touch with their children who were either disfellowshipped or 'fallen away'. They did not want to 'shun' anymore.

Woe, more good news. I have actually seen a bit of a trend with this, out in my neck of the woods too. Guess some of the old timers are just having a hard time with the harhness of it all.

Mum also told me that the 1914 generation change shook a lot of the 'older' ones. I also think that had a lot to do with it.
    Ths is good to hear. You hope that this is what is happening, but its good to actually hear it confirmed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit