Were the elders in your congregation good,bad or indifferent?

by badboy 27 Replies latest jw friends

• dontnowat2believe
    dontnowat2believe

The few I had dealings with were arseholes, our congragations had elders whos philosophy towards children was if they talk or move give them a hiding, The amount of kids I knew in just my congo who were severely beaten was unbelieveable. As for the rest of them I dont give a shit how nice, polite, indeferent, kind, evil, compassionate they are at one time or another they have heard the wrongs that have been done, and mostly do nothing.

Pete

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

At the last Congo we attended...one was good, 2 were indifferent and one was really horrendously evil bad.

Now since we left....all of them that have come to our house have been pompous jerks.

WG

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

On the whole I would have to say they ranged from fair to middling. There was only one that I thought was bad years ago. And by bad I mean useless to me (maybe not to others).

I have seen that they are very touchy about criticism they get from the cong. and depending on how bad it is or how sensitive they are, sometimes they ultimately leave because of it.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

There are many in the currect congregation which I attend. The older ones seem caring while the younger ones with family (small children) seem indifferent.

Now there's a job I don't want. They've to deal with their own issues and their family's issues, plus everybody else's in the congregation?! No way!!!

DY

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Like the Movie: The Good, Bad, and the Ugly!

Some good , Some Bad...alota Ugly!

Brooke

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Like many Halls we had our dynasty to reckon with. Daddy and two sons. Big daddy controlled everything and everyone. Number 1 son was an irresponsible insensible jerk. Son two was screwing around secretly and was sent to Bethel where he was made a ministerial servant only to be exposed by the girl who got conscience back home and came forward. He's faded. Actually in the long run he was forced to be honest.

Elders in the cong?

1. leader of the pack, number two son promoted to PO when daddy moved.

2. I studied with this one, now a zealot, (Did my job too well. No compassion for anyone. didn't learn that from me, got it from No. 1 son of Elder Hitler.

3. Does what he's told and it eats away at his insides.

Thats it. I of course Wasanelder Once. Now I'm fine with being a nothing to that lot.

W. Once

• pratt1
    pratt1

The elders I interacted with fell into one of three catorgories.

1. Bethel Elders - Pretty naive and had very a bad manner when it came to children and husband and wife issues.

2. The "I'm a big man in the congo but I am a nothing outside the hall" - Discouraged any ambitious or upwardly mobile behaviour. As a man just be a janitor and make sure that your wife pioneers and everything will turn out just fine.

3. "I am going to make a difference Elder" - really wanted to help the congo. Was usually younger, really studied the bible, and if not educated, was at least fairly successful in both secular and personal life. Unfortunately, this elder usually did not stay an elder long.

Probable, he's on this web site right now.

• undercover
    undercover

Blondies numbers seem about right.

I can rattle off names of bad elders pretty quick.

I can number on one hand the good ones.

All the others I've met over the years didn't leave much of an impression at all.

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

the hall i was brought up in they were really great quite a young bunch,(very forgiving)

we had to move to another hall coz the elders were that useless my dad got sent in to 'sort it out' really lax,

then when i got married moved to another hall which is basiclly run by one man who they all answer to, you can tell some times the other elders dont agree with him but what he says goes, he is wierd tho ,my friend went to him when her husband beat her up and he said its only like you hitting your 4 year old daughter nothing wrong with it! of course the other elder sat there didnt dare disagree! (thats only one example)

it strikes me as funny how different halls can have such different ways of dealing with things what ever happened to the holy spirit guiding the only true united organization!

• Netty
    Netty

Like Brooke said, UGLY!

They were mean, they were harsh, they were bullies. On the power trip from hell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit