[Inglish speli? riform]

by dorayakii 20 Replies latest jw friends

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Thought i'd open up a new thread to discuss the benefits and downfalls of spelling reform.

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

• So if spelling isn't as important as we may think, does it really matter if we change it to be closer to pronunciation?
    • Should we adopt a more radical policy than Webster's 1783 American Spelling Reform?
    • Should we adopt a similar approach to Germany, who had a Rechtschreibreform (spelling reform) in 1996?
    • Should we at least get rid of the defunct "gh" spellings? (eg. right, thought, bought, cough, though, through)

If anyone's interested in the topic, just post your thoughts.

dorayakii of the "linguistics maniac" class... (hopefully not a class with just one member)

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    Should we at least get rid of the defunct "gh" spellings? (eg. right, thought, bought, cough, though, through)

Wroks fer me or is taht moi?

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

he he he funny. Took some time before I saw that the sentence was not correctly.

Anyway I know only one language (that is english) where the spelling and pronounciation are so less correlated. It is quite strange english in fact..

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Heretic! And you call yourself British.

Just think of all the works you would have to change: lieutenant to lef-tenant.

Anyway, why elimante the "gh"? It connects us to the Anglo-Saxon background of English and if we shorten our words, we'd just become lazy Americans. No offense American neighbours, but I like to spell it "photo" not foto. Through, not thru. etc. etc.

"What fevered dream is this that bids to tear our company in twain?" -- Scruffy on Futurama.

• ballistic
    ballistic

We're starting to get kids through into our firm who think it's cool to use txt speech in official communications.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Oh, Class I've seen you Soviet Canuckistan's commit horrible crime with the English lang. And by God who uses "foto"?
    But to the topic of the thread. Yes....langauge should always remain dynamic and always changing. Otherwise it loses it's reason for being. If you are too inflexible then it becomes then next dead langauge....ie Latin.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Oh, Class I've seen you Soviet Canuckistan's commit horrible crime with the English lang. And by God who uses "foto"?

I've seen a Japanese company (Sony? perhaps) using "foto." We've never committed horrible crimes with the English language... wait... I forgot about Margaret Atwood, sorry.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

We should definitely get rid of some of our whacky spellings. Maybe they came from French or some other language, but this is English we're talking about. We already changed the words at least once, so why not go all the way?

Mexicans are flooding into the US like crazy, and I don't want to hear any excuses as to why they can't learn our language. Most of them are good people, but many seem to make no effort to learn English or act like they can't speak it when they really can. Maybe if things were spelled as they're pronounced it would be easier for them to grasp.

• Pole
    Pole

Hi dorayakii,
    Sorry if I sound too serious about this issue, but I just couldn't resist posting my enlightened views on this thread. LOL.
    Until recently such a reform would have made life easier for the average English user. But now I actually think if English spelling (or any other natural language spelling system) was to be changed, it shouldn't just be changed to achieve a greater correspondence between sound and spelling. Rather, it should be adjusted for greater grammatical/semantic consistency and disambiguation. This would make spelling slightly more difficult for poor spellers but infinitely more understandable for machines, which is what really counts in today's world.
    Trying to simplify things for poor spellers could actually cause more harm than good.
    1) First of all you can't forget that the order of the letters doesn't matter as long as you have enough context to figure out the meaning of the word.
    2) The order of the letters isn't the biggest problem for poor spellers. Usually they have problems with homographs/homophones/homonyms such as 'bear - bare', 'bow - bow', their - there - they're, it's - its, etc.
    3) If you 'simplify' things by merging homophones into single spelling forms, for instance, if you merge 'bear' and 'bare' to 'ber', then you'll seriously cripple the efficiency of all sorts of search engines and data storage systems which will be unable to recognize these differences anymore. Imagine googling for 'bare bear' as 'ber ber'. (Now who could ever do that in the first place.) LOL.
    4) Spellcheckers help you in most situation already so spelling is not that much of a problem, except on discussion boards where we don't bother that much to spellcheck before posting.
    5) Spellcheckers are becoming increasingly 'intelligent' in allowing for the grammar and semantics surrounding the misspelled word. In the nearest future they will not only tell you if the word exists or doesn't exist in the dictionary, but also whether you should spell the word 'bear' or 'bare' in a given context (with both forms attested in the dictionary).
    6) Any normative attempts to reform the spelling of an internationally used language such as English are out of touch with reality. It's simply impossible to snap your fingers and say: "Ok, Brits, Yanks, Ozzies, Zealanders, Nigerians, Hindus, Pakistanis, Canadians, and all the non-native speakers. From now one we spell 'bare' as 'ber'." Especially if you consider the fact that there are differences between accents of English and that some changes would make sense in American English but not in British English, and vice versa.
    So, in a nutshell, we're deep in sh**t and any attempts to change the situation globally and radically would only sink us deeper in it.
    Pole
    EDITED TO CORRECT A SILLY SPELLING MISTAKE. LOL

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Sonny...have you taken any time to learn Spanish? Who said America had to stay an English speaking country. We are a large melting pot and better because of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit