Job interviews

by swiftbreeze 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• swiftbreeze
    swiftbreeze

I was unemployed. Now I'm employed. I'm in a position that allows me to hire people. Everyday i come home worn out. At first i tried to have some compassion because i know what it is like to be unemployed. I can't believe that lack luster attitudes I'm getting. Example: A lady sent me a resume regarding a position that requires certification. She told me that she was certified. When I asked her if she could give me a copy of her certification . I found out that she lied. I had a position for her but her start date would be on the 4th of July. She declined because of the holiday, but asked me to consider her for another position.(wtf?)

Very few people come to their interview on time,and then act as if it's no big deal that they are late (wtf!) Most act as if you owe them something.

People will call and bugg the hell out of me for a job when i ask them about preference of time and location they reply " none, i'll work anytime, anywhere" so I'm like "great! this is the time and this is the location" the reply "ummm thats too far and those hours won't work for me"

thanks for listening, i'm just venting

• Soledad
    Soledad

I feel your pain. Hey, there are so many people unemployed out there I'm very surprised at the attitudes you are describing. Professionalism still counts. Or is it out of style? I don't think so.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Many of you know I lost my job on May 12th after 10 1/2 years with the same company. I have shown up for my interviews well in advance (at least 15 minutes), developed a rapport with the interviewee and have been told on several occasions that I am overqualified. Last week I ended up at an interview with a recruiter (headhunter) for management (the job was in her office as an administrative assistant.) While I didn't get the job, she gave me constructive criticism about my resume and told me what I was wearing was fine, etc. She was so nice. She even gave me some interview techniques and told me good luck and to call her when I was employed. What a wonderful thing for her to do!

I was driving over 80 miles (round trip) every day to my previous job. Depending on the route I took, it was 40 miles, or 42 miles or 47 miles one way. So I made the decision that I didn't want to travel that distance anymore. I have been trying to find something within 25 miles of my home because the commute into the big city is often stressful and frustrating to say the least. So I can understand people not going very far. Why drive 40 miles for a $10.00 an hour job?

I went on an interview yesterday and it looks like I can have the job if I want it. It's 35 miles one way from my home. It's a small company but they also expect weekend work from time to time. I think I'll hold out for a job closer to home!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((Tres))))

I'm so glad you're in a position to be picky about what job you take. I firmly believe that it will pay off in the end! Chin up - it'll happen.

Love,
    Andi

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Swift:

I would not want to work in personnel because dealing with people is very tiring. I once had to "train" an office temp. Very trying. While it is true that some people don't tell the truth and don't have a professional attitude, the same is also true of many employers and agencies. What about hiring people under false pretenses? Misrepresenting what a job is really all about? I have had this happen to me. How about agencies sending you on an interview telling you a certain salary and when you get to the interview you find out the story is different?

It seems that now with a critical job market there is a very callous attitude towards job seekers. They think you will tolerate just about anything.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I think the guy who interviewed me yesterday was like you.

He was very nervous, I was totally relaxed.

Not disrespectfully relaxed, but I was just more comfortable with myself than he was.

I don't know why all that was important.

Have a good one!

• swiftbreeze
    swiftbreeze

my point is that when you are looking for employment you should give it your all. If you want certain hours or will only travel so far, be honest. It's a waste of your time and the employer's time when you lie or misrepresent yourself. I'm very honest about the job. But i can't read minds, i don't know everything a person might be interested in knowing, thats why it's good to ask questions. I had an interview today she was 30 minutes late i told her that she was late and i could not interview her.

• G Money
    G Money

I hate hiring. Many people want a job but few want to work. Its amazing how many lie on their resumes and list bugus (friends) for job references or worked for their parents or put self employed. Its come to be a big game of who can scam the most.

I think it is a reflection of society in general and the way things are unfortunately changing. If I was unemployed I'd clean toilets to pay the bills but so many people are down right picky.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Is not the field of HR grand? ROFLMAO

I've done this for many years and you are right, people really take the cake sometimes. I've had people just decide not to come to the interview after I've spent over $3,500 dollars on airfare and hotel accomodations to get them out here. I've had people show up looking like hoochie-mamas. I've had people show up stoned or drunk out of their mind or with white crystals hanging from their noses. I've had people proposition me in the hopes it'll win them the position. I've been threatened with bodily harm for not awarding them the position.

These are the easy ones, you are hiring for a job.

The fun comes during a termination for cause or a layoff. I've been scared sh**less a number of time by revenge seekers...

J

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter
    Is not the field of HR grand? ROFLMAO

Too right jeannie! As one who has experience in this field I agree with everything Swift has said. What has struck me significantly is the lack of effort made by a lot of interviewees. The boot is on the other foot - i.e. the interviewer has to impress the candidate instead of the other way about.

FF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit