Is the UN really the disgusting thing?

by StarTrekAngel 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Been dwelling on this for a while. Was there any particular history on this or anywhere where the WT picked up someone else's doctrine?

In most cases, the bible uses the word "disgusting thing" to refer to idols, idolatry and false religion. Such will make more sense on the context of Revelation, specially as explained by JWs. The UN is man made institution with no inclination for having a deity of its own.

Any comments?

• Londo111
    Londo111
    It is simply the Roman armies...it has nothing to do with the UN or any modern day organization.
  • Island Man
    Island Man

Ditto to what Londo said. By the way, given that the gospels applied that particular story in the saga of the king of the north and the king of the south, to the Roman desolation of Jerusalem, how is it that Watchtower applies some of the earlier prophecies in the same saga to events that have happened in more modern times?

The saga of the king of the North and the king of the South is clearly written in chronological order so the earlier prophecies before the disgusting thing that caused desolation can't possibly be interpreted as applying to times later than the Roman desolation.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm fairly ignorant of the UN. I've read about it doing good things; I've read opinion pieces saying that it has faults that need sorting out.

But calling it the 'disgusting thing' to shoehorn it into Bible prophecy? Sounds like WTS-inspired lunacy to me. 

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One thing to accept is that the ancient first era Christians didn't have any preconceived concept that separate nations would corroboratively come together in a organized intent to resolve issues concerning those participating countries.

Most likely the WTS heads self imagined something on their own since the UN was established close by and since the organization had to do with governments. 

The UN was established to do good for humanity to resolve issues with the intent of stopping the development of wars occurring and to support basic human rights. Since its establishment it has helped countries to better cooperate with one and another.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

The UN is a mostly amazing somewhat flawed organization. 

I think witnesses hate it because they see God's Kingdom as a competitor to earthly governments, and an org hoping to create peace between nations without God intervening and Armageddon happening first is disgusting to them.

I agree with Londo that it's Rome, and think Babylon the Great is Rome too. 

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    The ridiculous thing is how they call the UN 'boastful' for simply hoping to establish peace and save children from dying in war and prevent disease and poverty (UNICEF, anyone?) as if their motives were bad. 
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

to establish peace and save children from dying in war and prevent disease and poverty (UNICEF, anyone?) as if their motives were bad. 

Yes how disgusting is that ?   

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'll reiterate what I posted in a similar thread earlier today:

A ton of stuff in current WTS eschatology can trace its origins back to mid-20th-Century right-wing conspiracy theory (The John Birch Society, Hal Lindsey, etc...)

When Fred Franz was scripting it out, there was a lot more cross-pollination of ideas between various apocalyptic millennialist groups, although I'm sure that the ongoing events of the Cold War made much of his interpretation seem plausible to many.

Virtually impossible for geopolitics to play out that way nowadays, though...

...we're talking about a political organization that barely has the clout to defend religious freedoms, let alone marshal a planet-wide campaign to militantly suppress them.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Thanks everyone.. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit