Philosophy - is it worth the bother?

by Abaddon 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I fully admit to only having dabbled in the waters of philosophy up to now. I kept on being put off by the smell...

Having said that, is there anyone more clued up than me about the subject who can tell me anything that might make me change my mind?

What can study of philosophy give me, or how can it benefit me?

Obviously, I'm talking about me. Others might find different aspects of it interesting or of benefit.

So maybe if people tell everyone why they think philosophy is worth the bother, those of us who are largely uninformed about it can get some insight?

Obviously, if anyone thinks it is bloody useless, or that they disagree with some of the benefits listed by others, fine. Join in. But let's aim for the smart, funny and informative rather than the yah-boo-sucks!

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

If you are interested in never knowing "truth" for sure, then become a philosopher (I mean this as a good thing). At least with a solid backing in rhetorical philosophy you will be able to run circles around any person you are arguing with.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Abaddon....
    For me philosophy was my first "free thinking" excercise ever. In high school when I took an honors (college level) class it made me think outside of the box for the VERY first time. I knew what I believed and what I had been taught. My JW background made life black and white. Right and wrong. But having to understand the philosopher's point of view and write papers based on them made me challenge my belief system.
    I'm not saying you need that now, as your debates and beliefs seem to be open for review. But that's why I still like it to this day.
    Rene Decartes - Man in a Cave (or something like that) made me realize we are all victims of our surroundings and upbringing. This was the first "self aware" moment on my way to throwing off the yoke of the WTBS.
    Besides I always enjoyed debating folks with one viewpoint vs. the other. It helped me formulate thoughts and ideas to convey via debate. And at the end of the day, it's unprovable and not "world ending". So you can debate calmly and decently without acrimony because it really doesn't matter.

• poppers
    poppers

"What can study of philosophy give me, or how can it benefit me?"

The only thing it can give you are more concepts to fill up your mind and with which your ego can accept or reject. This in itself is enough to further obscure truth. If it's truth you're looking for drop all concepts and rest in that in which mind arises, rest in that which precedes egoic identity, your true nature. Then all will be seen clearly and truthfully.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

Studying philosophy teaches you how to think not what to think.

I don’t claim to be an expert, the wife and I have been know to debate individuals points of view on occasion but we’ve never come up with anything definite.

The two biggest advantages of philosophy I’ve found are that it gives a better understanding of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and a profound incite into their drinking habits

“Immanuel Kant was a real puissant Who was very rarely stable.”

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

Yes. philosophical studies can help one be more aware of one's thinking style (many of us are mentally lazy!) much like a basic understanding of psychology (personality profiles, cognitive styles, etc...). We are the result of our environmental programming (some good, some bad in most cases) and our inherited genetics.

Thinking requires work just like athletic activities require sweat! Don't be put off by intellectuals who delight in engaging in pissing contests ("nerds" can be just as competitive as "jocks") and ignoring real world experience. The key is balance (as always).

W.

• willy_think
    willy_think

Abaddon,

I’ve read many of your posts and your logic is rock solid

I think Philosophy is a word game we play. To see how long can we talk and seem to make sense without ever truly defining our terms.

In an odious over simplification I offer this question: “what came first the chicken of the egg?”

The answer is the egg. Dinosaurs laded eggs.

So now the question is changed without acknowledging the truth of the answer. “What came first the chicken or the chicken egg?”

The question is really what is a chicken and what is a chicken egg, but if you ask that question the answer becomes that they are only what we agree they are. Without agreement there are no chickens or chicken eggs.

I believe the world to be an absurd place but I play philosophy from time to time.

My personal goal is to live an observed life with as little self-delusions as possible.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

Philosophy is fun conversation when your imbibed in the spirits

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i am no expert either, but i have always kind of viewed philosophy as the science of thoughts. since thoughts are rather subjective things, and hard to test for accuracy, philosophy has always helped me test these thoughts and assumptions. this includes, like EF mentioned, thinking outside of the box. this is especially important for ex-wits IMO. so many years of black or white thinking can come unravelled quite quickly with philosophy. like classicist touched on, it really is a good thing to learn that you can never have 100% certainty in your belief system.

• IronGland
    IronGland
    I think Philosophy is a word game we play. To see how long can we talk and seem to make sense without ever truly defining our terms.

I disagree. Many of the works I had to read in philosphy classes were difficult to follow because sometimes the 1st third or so of the book was the guy defining his terms for the argument to follow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit