JW Church to have 9,000 pound stone, adorned with 23-karat gold leaf!

by Voyager 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Voyager
    Voyager

Mary:

Thank you Mary for replying that message, because I had over-looked it!

Good show Mary!

• Voyager
    Voyager

Kingdom Ministry 1976 May page-4

How

Do You View Your Kingdom Hall?

The approximate cost of the project can be estimated in accord with the type of building the congregation desires and can afford. Spending money wisely should always be in mind, but an economy building may cost more to maintain in the long run than if a little more was spent to make it enduring or large enough to begin with or to get a little better equipment. Also to be considered is not placing an unreasonable financial burden on the congregation.

• hubert
    hubert

Voyager, Sorry i didn't see this post earlier. I wouldn't have re-posted it, if I did.

I'd like to add... I wonder how much a "gold leaf" sign of that size costs? Where would they get one made in that area?

Maybe someone could find out. That might be an interesting find.

Hubert

• Scully
    Scully
    The carpeting, oak trim, rock wainscoting and custom crown molding will all be in place by Sunday's service. Thursday's crew worked on a 9,000-pound stone sign for the church, which will be adorned with 23-karat gold leaf.

There is a similar sign on the local KH. The stone was (from what intel I could gather) donated by a "brother" who worked for a monument (ie, headstone) business. It wouldn't surprise me if the gold leaf (which isn't all that expensive considering it would likely only be used for the lettering) was also donated.

JWs working in the construction industry are quite well networked and particularly if they are self-employed and are in a position to donate materials, or have a decent employee discount that they can use to help out in terms of reducing costs, they will do so.

Honestly, I think there are worse things the WTS and JWs are guilty of, and this is a molehill that is trying to be a mountain.

• luna2
    luna2

I don't think I mind the gold leaf on the sign part so much...I don't think the amount of gold leaf they will use will amount to a huge sum and will probably look nice. Not sure why they have to brag on it like it's some big deal...that to me is the unattractive part.

What really bugs me (or used to) is the hasty and often shoddy construction. They put on a big show of getting the building up as fast as possible and act like they are such excellent builders, but a good portion of the time they end up with leaky roofs and mold problems that plague them for years. How is that good use of congregation funds?

My other pet peeve was the decorating and redecorating of KHs. In the past 15 years or so, there have been all of these really awful color schemes (that I assume they get from decorators at Bethel) that are very trendy and often look outdated within just a few years. This causes many congregations to fork over more money to redecorate again just to change the hideous colors. There doesn't seem to be much common sense being applied these days.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    there IS no growth in North America......

well yeah.. but they're just making room...

• blondie
    blondie

There is growth in the US, in the hispanic sector, and accounts for any increase.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Can you say MAINSTREAM??

Gold and fancy decor; not wrong, but certainly scoffed at in the past by the WT.

When the spiritual warmth is gone, make it look nice.

P

• Voyager
    Voyager

and this is a molehill that is trying to be a mountain.

We are talking about the Watchtower Society here. The (royal) master at making molehills into mountains. If they are going to continue to sling manure in our face, then I believe we have the (right) to sling it back! I firmly believe that some of the (money) they are spending for their nice fancy Kingdom Halls, could be better spent by helping (disaster) relief victims, the poor, the hungry, the disabled. Do you know for a (fact) that this particular sign was donated? Show us your proof! If you have none, then we have to conclude that it was bought and paid for.

• undercover
    undercover
    I firmly believe that some of the (money) they are spending for their nice fancy Kingdom Halls, could be better spent by helping (disaster) relief victims, the poor, the hungry, the disabled.

That's a complaint that you can make for most religions. Most churches are much more ornate and expensive than Kingdom Halls. Take the Catholic Church and all their buildings and art and millions of dollars. That money could be better spent on helping people too. Yes, they do more than the WTS when does come to relief and feeding the poor, but then again, they don't spare any expense when it comes to their property either.

I stood in St. Paul's Cathedral last year and marveled at the expense and labor to build that building. Realizing how many poor people died of starvation and war during the centuries that building has existed makes you wonder why that Church couldn't have done more for the people instead of for that building.

The WTS is an evil empire. But nitpicking on how they build Kingdom Halls is not the way to show how evil they are. Comparitively speaking their buildings are modest and inexpensive. Most people see Kingdom Halls as bland. Trying to pin evil intentions on them on how they build Kingdom Halls is not going to work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit