Bethany Hughes case - www.cp24.com

by Toronto_Guy 15 Replies latest watchtower medical

• TD
    TD

“Christians are told to abstain from blood,” counters spokesman Clive Thomas. “We don't believe in a burning hell fire but we believe that somebody who has broken God's laws unrepentantly will meet God's unfavourable judgment. And that means they may not get to live in a paradise on earth.”

This statement just get's my blood boiling. It sounds so grandious and dramatic to witnesses, like a f*cking installment in the Star Wars series, good vs. evil. Will this madness ever end??

Me too! Invoking an incomplete predicate as an independent construction is meaningless. It has to have a context. Didn't these idiots even attend school?

If a woman's OBGYN tells her that, "Pregnant women should abstain from alcohol," it means something entirely different than if a dermatologist tells this woman's husband that, "Persons with sensitive skin should abstain from alcohol."

We don't abstain from objects themselves, we abstain from finite acts done in connection with objects. In this case, she can still put it on her skin and he can still drink it.

• What_is_ur_point
    What_is_ur_point

At the CANADA District assembly it mentioned that Bethany had taken blood transfusions.

The brother on stage SAID she was pumped full of blood.. is this not a true statement...

I got the impression she said no to blood then they gave some to her anyway.

and the watchtower says she died anyway....what is the truth since it said in your message that she didnt' take the blood. I HEARD SHE HAD????

• jgnat
    jgnat

Welcome, fellow Edmontonian. Here's the sad story of Bethany Hughes.

1. Bethany was diagnosed with a life-threatening lukemia.

2. The parents refused blood transfusions for their daughter. Social Services applied and received temporary custody so the doctors could give Bethany blood transfusions.

3. While praying and reading the bible at her bedside, her father, Lawrence Hughes, came to a different understanding of "eating blood" than the Watchtower society. He was convinced from his reading of the bible accounts that transfusions to save a life were lawful. From that point out, Lawrence was estranged from his JW family.

4. Though Bethany was content to be a passive objector, her mother convinced her that active resistance was necessary, even threatening to rip out the transfusion lines. To prevent harm, the nurses banned the mother from Bethany's room when the transfusions were being administered. Bethany came to believe that receiving a transfusion was akin to a spiritual rape.

5. Watchtower lawyers get involved and started filing petitions and injunctions.

6. Bethany became worse, essentially the leukemia won and the doctors considered her terminal. Also, she was older, had been battling the disease longer, and she convinced the doctors she was now a "mature minor" able to make her own decisions on her treatment. Social Services returned custody to the mother. Notice that Lawrence remained estranged because of his stand on blood.

7. Bethany was hustled away to an undisclosed location. Lawrence became frantic. Bethany appeared on radio and wrote a poem about courageously refusing blood.

8. Now all the WT lawyers had to do was play the waiting game, filing their writs, which they did.

9. Bethany tried alternative bloodless therapies that likely hastened her death. Keep in mind at this stage the doctors acquiesced to her wishes as they were pretty sure the final outcome was the same.

10. Lawrence was given one hour's notice that his daughter was dying. He was in Calgary, she was in Edmonton. He was denied her dying breath.

• sf
    sf
    He was denied her dying breath.

Mind boggling, at least.

{{{ Larry }}}

sKally

• jgnat
    jgnat

The Watchtower Society, by denying a common decency to a grieving father, created a determined foe. They deserve every picket. They may mock his efforts and run circles around him in court, but how do they sleep at night?

What_is_ur_point, I was there at the convention when they quoted part of Bethany's poem. My first thought was, "Why only share a snippet of the poem, why not the whole thing?" Even on the anniversary of her death they denied Bethany's voice, their apparent heroine. Even brave young girls dying of leukemia don't rate much in their big picture.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I also heard that poem at the assembly in Calgary. It helped me realize that we as people can think we are one hundred percent right about something, while in reality we can be one hundred percent wrong. I also felt in my heart how evil the Watchtower society truly is, how the concept of having "the truth" can drive people to cast aside reason and logic. I disassociated three months later.

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit