The Dynamics of online Apostaworld: the History

by Bas 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Bas
    Bas

I've been really interested in this myself for a while as the online apostacommunity has grown large over the last couple of years.

As most of you probably realize, the internet has been instrumental for apostates to hook up and make a virtual fist at the watchtower, the turbulent history the online apostacommunity might interest you alot. It interests me.

As I'm not someone that was here from the beginning, I'd really like to hear the stories of the oldtimers, the first apostates to hook up through the net, the stories from the first boards and sites that were apostate and the evolution of the apostacommunity after that. I'm asking people that have been involved since at least 2002 or before to share their stories and views and things that stirred their emotions.

This is a start to me gathering info on this (what better way than to start on the biggest apostaboard?), but I intend to gather information from other boards and people as well to get a clear picture of this history. When I have enough rough material I intend to write a document that might be interesting to both oldtimers and newbies.

You may post your stories and information here but you also can write me at [email protected] . Any info is welcome, esspecially on about who to contact for info and stories.

Thank you for your contribution,

Bas

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya! great idea bas! that would be super interesting.

aposta-anthropology.

apostathropology...

• Bas
    Bas

Yes tetrapod, this is a very interesting community and I would love to know it's history and share it. I don't think there is anything written on it yet, so this is really going to be a pioneering efford. Any help would be more than welcome, anyone with a basic knowledge of the important apostasites, boards and who know who the famous people in apostaworld are would qualify. It would be alot easier if this was a teamefford, so if you're interested, please post or send me an email or pm. I have some background in acadamics myself, and it would be great if you do too, but it is not a requirement.

I have a small list of people who i want to email for their stories already and among the first things that I'd like to ask them about is the old H20 board, it was the oldest apostaboard that I know of and it has been gone for quite a long time now. Anyway, this passive way of gathering information through this thread is obviously not going to work, time to move on to a more proactive manner of getting it. Beginnings are always difficult....

Bas

• jukief
    jukief

The first group of ex-JWs that I'm aware of got acquainted back in the early 90s on a Usenet Newsgroup called talk.religion.misc. A group of about eight or ten of us got friendly there and started emailing each other. We were soon cc'ing each and the cc list kept getting bigger, so a gal in the group set up a listserv for us. This became the philia mailing list. There were a dozen or so of us founding members. The group grew until it had hundreds of members. By then the original members were, for the most part, pretty disgusted with how the group had turned out (lots of infighting), so most of us left. But by then the Web was coming along and forums started popping up. I wish I could remember all the early members of philia. There was AlanF and me, my sister, the Norwegian contingent, some friends (from Scotland, Hong Kong, various parts of the US...) who no longer have much to do with the ex-JW community. Can anyone from the old days remember? Julie F

• AlanF
    AlanF

That's an interesting topic, alright. Here's a short history of my own involvement with online discussion forums.

I've been online since 1991, beginning with Usenet Newsgroups. Several of the boards on which I often discussed religious topics, and in particular argued with JWs, were talk.religion.misc, soc.religion and soc.religion.christian. I met a number of people there, including my present wife. I wrote many essays on the JWs and related topics, most of which were the basis for long posts on these Newsgroups.

I knew by 1993 that the Net (the Web wasn't even around back then) would be an extremely powerful force against the Watchtower Society, since so much information was freely available and people could, in private, find out all sorts of things the Society didn't want them to know. They could also easily communicate and share ideas and experiences, something that has been extremely valuable to many ex-JWs in getting their heads on straight.

By about 1994, many of the JW-critics I had become friendly with subscribed to an email-based listserve called jesus-witnesses. Many of the JWs who were fairly vocal on the Usenet boards came on this list for awhile, but most eventually gave up.

In 1994 the Web started up in popular consciousness, and one of the JWs I had helped to get out of the JW cult decided to start a website ostensibly for JWs. It was called "Associated Jehovah's Witnesses for Reform", and it attracted a good many practicing JWs. The site owner had some good laughs at their expense. I believe it existed for only a year or so.

About this time several of us who had become friendly on Usenet started up a private email list we called "Philia". Eventually this came to have more than 200 subscribers off and on. I met many ex-JWs there, and some have remained my close friends. A popular website's owner, Timothy Campbell, got on the Philia list and soon started the website "Beyond Jehovah's Witnesses", which has done a great deal of good. Another extremely useful website, "Research on the Watchtower", was started by a Philia subscriber. He used many of my long essays to start, and then latched on to posts from the H2O website for some years. Another friend, Jan Haugland, started a website that dealt with Watchtower history. Yet another, Kent Steinhaug, started the website "Watchtower Observer" which became the Grandaddy of big JW-critical sites. A number of other Philia subscribers started their own websites.

About 1997 the H2O website started up, run by an apparent JW who had ideas of reform. I soon joined, and not long after that quit posting on the jesus-witnesses list. H2O attracted plenty of interesting people, including some rabid anti-JWs and rabid JW apologists. It was kind of a free-for-all, and you had to be pretty thick skinned to enjoy the fray. One JW who called himself Lee Elder figured out, as a result of discussions on H2O, that the Society's blood transfusion ban was ridiculous and unscriptural. He then started the website "Associated Jehovah's Witnesses for Reform on Blood". Of course, a number of H2O posters eventually started their own websites. Many people who at first came on H2O as JW defenders eventually saw the light and quit the cult.

By 2001, H2O was becoming untenable as a good discussion forum since the site owner wanted to control how the many free spirits who posted there expressed themselves. So in early 2001, most posters left and began posting here on Simon's board.

During the late 1990s, AOL was a fairly active forum for JWs and their critics. I subscribed for awhile around 1996, but soon lost interest since the posting environment was extremely inefficient, and terribly restrictive. AOL sucks.

Dozens of forums have been created since the early Usenet Newsgroup discussions, most of which I have little or no knowledge of. It'll be an interesting task for you to find out their history.

AlanF

• jukief
    jukief

Thanks, Alan. I couldn't remember all of those details. :-)

• JW83
    JW83

Bas, you have a pm.

• JW83
    JW83

Thanks for that info, Alan, & well done!

• Bas
    Bas

Thank you alot Alan F, that's great info! thank you for taking your time, if you don't mind I will come back to you later with questions on this and you too Julie. Q: have any of the logs of JWO or the usenet groups been saved somewhere? It would be a great resource....

Any "big" names from before 2000 and an emailadress would be very welcome too. I'll be sure to contact every administrator of any JW related site for their views and stories and I'll try to put together a temporary version of the paper ASAP. Thank you for your input.

Bas

• ballistic
    ballistic

A few thoughts...

An elder who discovered I was "into computers" back in the early 90's warned me about the internet saying there were "loads of apostates" on there. To be honest, the internet hadn't really got a foothold here in the UK, so the Watchtower were obviously ahead of the game, maybe using their experience from the US which had more widespread internet use a few years earlier. I remember being really shocked by the elder's coments as I didn't really believe apostates existed.

It was maybe 8 or 9 years later, now disfellowshipped, that I got my own internet connection, and keyed in "jehovahs witness" into a search engine. And I remember an uneasy feeling, slightly nervous, slightly guilty, clicking into Timothy Campbell's http://members.aol.com/beyondjw web site.

What struck me about the ex-witness community is that although there are all kinds of people, there is a common bond; we all were witnesses and somehow ended up as ex-witnesses. And although the path we took to get there varies greatly from those who researched the "truth" and made a concious decision to leave, to those who were "thrown out" as I like to put it, on meeting people on here and consequently in person, there was a complete lack of the harsh judgement most of us had been through. People cared to hear your story, but no-one, absolutely no-one wanted to criticise or judge you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit