Eminent Domain Supersized

by 95stormfront 25 Replies latest jw friends

"There are no liberals on the Court; they are all either slightly right of the middle or to the far right.

Unfortunately for you, the justices that voted for eminent domain for cities are the ones that have mostly been liberal voters, as compared to the other ones."

No, it's unfortunate for our entire country that there are no liberals on the court. Please name one justice who is a "liberal." There are none. They may occasionally vote left of the right wing extremists (Thomas, Scalia, and Rehnquist), but such votes are not exactly "liberal"; rather, they are centrist.

• jula71
    jula71

144001, all you have to do is follow the voting records, and read the opinions. These guys have made the court a joke. Their job is to uphold the Constitution, not re-invent it.

Please name one justice who is a "liberal."

I named 5 right up there.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

This is a terrible decision; now any town/city/county can come and take your property in the public interest. This is different if it were a highway, etc. In our area it was an addition to a mall, a raceway and now a new Cowboy Stadium.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Kerry, Clinton, and Kennedy have no connection to the current extremely right wing Supreme Court.

Yeah, and ???

Their silence might be some unheard of thing called deference to the judiciary.

Nope. It's more "we can't pin this one on Bush so why waste our energy." I wouldn't be surprised to find out that these individuals have their pockets lines with cash from big time developers who can now steal land from the working class.

Yeah, maybe Bush and his cronies are pro-big business but at least they don't go around pretending to be for the little guy.

"Nope. It's more "we can't pin this one on Bush so why waste our energy." I wouldn't be surprised to find out that these individuals have their pockets lines with cash from big time developers who can now steal land from the working class."

Are you asserting that the Supreme Court is "on the take?"

So, to you, John Paul Stevens, Anthony Kennedy, David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer are liberals? Let's see who nominated them to their positions:

Anthony Kennedy: Nominated by President Reagan (Republican) in 1988

David H. Souter: Nominated By President George Bush Sr. (Republican) in 1990

John Paul Stevens: Nominated by President Ford (Republican) in 1975

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Nominated by President Clinton (Democrat) in 1993

Stephen G. Breyer: Nominated by President Clinton (Democrat) in 1994

As indicated above, the majority of these justices (all of whom voted to allow local governments to use emminent domain to seize property for private uses) you purport to be "liberals" were nominated by Republican presidents. In fact, the only justices on the Court who were nominated by Democrats are Breyer and Ginsburg. Both of these justices were nominated by Clinton, who was anything but a true liberal. In fact, the key to Clinton's success was his slightly right of center political background. Ginsburg and Breyer certainly do not possess a "liberal" voting record, but I can certainly concede that by voting in the middle, they are far more liberal than the other justices, most of whom are right wing extremists.

I have spent a considerable amount of time actually reading the opinions of the Court, and have not seen any "liberal" opinions in years. Allowing the government to seize your property for the use of a private party is certainly not a "liberal" decision. In fact, it is more consistent with the big government corporate welfare for the well-connected policies of the current right wing extremist executive, legislative, and judicial branches of our government.

I find your belief that our Court is "liberal" to be troubling. It's erroneous public perception of our Supreme Court that is contributing to the substantial erosion of rights that has occurred over the last few decades. Continued misinformation of this sort will no doubt lead to the nomination of additional right wing extremists to the court.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit