Hall Baby to Get Transfusion Over Parents Objections!

by Voyager 8 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Voyager
    Voyager

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/hall/newfullstory.asp?ID=93613

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/hall/newfullstory.asp?ID=93613

**************************************************************************************************************

Posted Thursday, June 23 at 6:41 AM
    Hall baby to get blood transfusion over parents' objections
    from WSB-TV

GAINESVILLE - A Hall County baby will receive a blood transfusion despite objections from the baby's parents.
    A judge has ordered doctors at Northeast Georgia Medical Center to perform the medical procedure on a premature infant despite the family's religious beliefs.

"The evidence in the case shows that while it is not certain that the infant would die without the transfusion, that it is likely that he would die without (it)," said Senior Superior Court Judge John Girardeau.

The child's parents are Jehovah's Witness and are against blood transfusions. Doctors say the procedure could save the baby's life. The parents' attorney says they will abide by the court order.
  • Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Glad the court did the right thing here by stepping in and giving that poor baby a chance at life.

DL76

• Voyager
    Voyager

Dragonlady76:

I agree Dragonlady76. Its one thing for an (adult) to decide their fate, but someone has to step in for (children) who are to young to make such decisions! Especially when they are (babies!)

• Jourles
    Jourles

Depending on the "spirituality" level of the parents, they could be extremely glad for the court to make this decision for them. This way they can say to the elders, "look, they had a court order. there was nothing we could do." Afterall, they have to abide by the laws of the land.

I wonder how many JW parents have been through similar situations and knew if they were to say that they did not want a blood transfusion for their child, that the court would step in and force it? Meaning, they wanted a blood transfusion but only verbally opposed it knowing that the hospital would ask a judge for a court order essentially taking the responsibility out of their hands. If I were an active JW with doubts about the blood doctrine, I would do it.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

If you got to read my reply on the thread before this one I got to get the ball rolling very quickly on a 4 yr. old that needed blood. Because I knew what the pompous buttheads were pressuring the parents to do, the court order came before the elders even knew one was being obtained. The parents were ssoo grateful. Because of that and one other similar incident ALOT of nurses in the Dallas area have been very educated about what needs to be done in that situation. Before I left, if they got a young JW, they were foaming at the mouth to make sure the patient got the proper treatment. They had heard tales of this kind of thing. After they witnessed it and the way the elders were trying to throw their pompous attitude around, I pity the foolish elder that tries to go up against the nursing staff. It got to be pretty standard to put up "Visitors must check with nurse before entering" sign. And it was enforced by staff that was just waiting....

It makes my heart glad to hear stories like this one!!! And I could ramble on and on about this topic. Personally, I think if I can find out the exact hospital, I'm going to drop an appreciation card to the nursing supervisor for the staff! That'll get their attention in the event this should happen again.

shelley

• kls
    kls

Ahh yes another happy jw family stating their wishes but knowing the courts will intervene to save their child and now they are guiltless.

• Netty
    Netty

How wonderful for this poor little helpless baby! Great news.

Jourles, I agree with you. I think many parents feel pressured by the elders, and would likely make the right decision, if the brothers weren't at the hospital to "encourage" them.

Crazyblondeb, awesome of you! Fantastic! If you saved only one life, that's what matters. And the nurses, good that they put the signs up, and that they know better.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

The parents' attorney says they will abide by the court order.

Good. No need to lose an innocent baby's life. It seems as if the parents want the baby to live too...

RR (of the "How do you turn the highlighter off" class)

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    Ahh yes another happy jw family stating their wishes but knowing the courts will intervene to save their child and now they are guiltless.

I agree KLS, the parents should have some balls and stand up for their sick child and not "expect" or "hope" for a stranger or the courts to intervene for their child.

DL76

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit