Just venting.....

by swiftbreeze 4 Replies latest jw friends

• swiftbreeze
    swiftbreeze

My sister wrote me a letter telling me how she's going to all her meetings. She has two personal bible studies a week, goes to two book studies a week plus all the other meetings. First of all my sister was a drug addict. She says she is now drug free, smoke free, and she no longer curses.

I'm glad she has cleaned her life up. But in my opinion...going to all these meetings and doing all of this studying with the JW's is just another addiction. She's over doing it...Just like with her former addictions. The thing is nobody has told her to slow down and be more balanced....whoever is studying with her is probably bragging to all the other JW's about all the progress she is making. I bet they havent even thought about the fact that she is a recovering drug addict. Addicts have a hard time dealing with reality and being balanced. Anything can become an addiction, even religion. but they don't care. All her study conductor probably cares about is the field service time she gets to report.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

swiftbreeze,

The first book I read at my time of exiting from lifetime dubdumb was, "WHEN GOD BECOMES A DRUG, (breaking the chains of religious addiction and abuse) ", by Father Leo Booth.

I'm sure you'd really relate to it's thoughts.

Yes indeed, your sis is certainly still getting her FIX!

When my dad was suicidal, the elders sat there," shooting him up", all under the guise of "encouragement".

He checked out a few months later while in the trance-like state of JW life.

• luna2
    luna2

This is a tough one. Going overboard on Bible studies and meeting attendance is better than taking drugs certainly, but what happens when the euphoria of this recommitment to Jehovah wears off and she starts feeling the inevitible guilt and pressure that is part and parcel of Dubland? Many JW's are heavy drinkers and you can't help but connect their drinking to the rigid control and multitude of man-made rules they constantly labor under. I can't imagine what this will eventually do to your poor sister.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hi Swift

Its good to hear that your sister has managed to give up her drug addiction. However I think I understand how you are seeing the situation. Its like drugs were filling a void in her life and now she is studying with the JW's and using that as a crutch. Its a really unfortunate situation. Sounds like your sister has been through some really difficult times and has a self confidence problem. I hope that you can continue to be a strong support to her and she can see that the blood ties you share are stronger than any religon.

Miss Peaches

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I'll finally have a year clean next month. If I had to choose between the JWs or my drug of choice (meth)--I'd take the meth anytime. At least for me, recovery from drugs was easier (and yes, it was difficult), recovery from something that as been pounded into your head for YEARS, the head games, guilt, destorying lives, and all it involves for me, has been harder. Using NA, firing my old higher power and getting a new one, having a support group that loves you until you can love yourself--unconditionally made a huge difference.

It's so easy to replace an addiction with another one and not even realize it. Until she can find what she's missing, the pattern goes on and on. I really feel your pain. sorry---I seem to be doing alot of rambling!!!

shelley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit