My Dad

by Crumpet 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Just a wee update on my current tentative drawing out of my family. I sent a letter, which not coincidentally was timed to arrive on Fathers Day weekend just gone. Its the first letter I've sent in 8 years to my family and whilst I was careful to avoid any mention of religion I did talk about how happy I was generally and mentioned how nice it is that I see so much of my inlaws who despite living 800 miles away make regular visit to us at least 3 or 4 times a year. I wanted to stress the normality and groundedness of my life - ie I'm not a prostitute, on drugs and homeless (although I've been closer than I'd like to all 3 in my past).

Anyway I just this minute got a text from Dad. As background I'll explain that most of the ltter was about my trip to Canada and how I had missed him to the point of tears on the Maid on the Mist (Niagara) and how much I wished I could share that experience with him. This is the text I just got:

"Sounds a very "moving" ( punning reference to my misty eyedness as well as the fact we were constantly travelling) experience in every way. Ur various journeys and experiences make quite an impression. I don't know if I'll ever get the chance but niagara and main in the mist sound like just what I'd like to do. **** (someone I grew up with, but who got out of the JWs quite young - LT would know him) lives near Ottawa and his parents are going tomorrow for a month - wish I could join them. Luv dad."

Okay so I'd like a letter, but at least I got this. I've had more communication with my parents in the last 2 months than in the last 8 years!. If I can get my parents out of the JWs then I am hiring a whole Maid on the Mist for one massive apostafest and taking them out to celebrate! You are all invited!

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

Well done on your success, I hope things carry on going well for you. Your patience is admirable.

• homesteader
    homesteader

Crumpet,

Glad to hear you got a response of hope from your dad with a closing of luv. We'll look forward to the gathering at Niagara Falls. The maid of the mist is so neat. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Grace

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

That's great! Hope it keeps getting better with your family.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

hey girl i know how much you miss your dad...hope this breakthrough becomes wider

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Wow...this is really good to hear and his text to you seems a far cry from the lack of contact you have had to endure these last few years; really pleased for you and (as you know) I hope it gets better and better.

Count me in for the Niagara trip!!!

DB x

• TheListener
    TheListener

Good news. Reestablishing communication can be so hard. It's smart of you to let them see you as a grounded, well adjusted adult. It will ease their mind and perhaps allow them to talk with you more and more.

Good luck.

• delilah
    delilah

Hi Crumpet....I'm so glad you recieved a reply from your dad...it's a good start...keep it up...hopefully one day, all of our families will be with us, on the right side of the truth, as they call it....keep chipping away, and let me know when I can meet you in Niagara Falls.....that will be awesome girl...

Delilah

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Great story Crumpy.

Every little bit helps, I know.

I hope your daddy wakes up. Daughters love their daddies so much. I look at my little girl, and I know her sun rises and sets with me. I could never stop talking to her for 8 days, let alone 8 years, no matter what she did.

I think you understand that it isn't your real dad who is doing these things, but the cult member that has been grafted on top of him. He loves you so much. Don't forget that.

And good job on making the distinction and not taking his distance personally. That was one of the hardest parts for me.

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

Sounds positive, Crumpet. Fingers crossed for you, sounds like a good start though, better than the alternative (nothing at all in return) anyway.

Good luck,

ig.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit