Happiness

by philo 14 Replies latest jw friends

• philo
    philo

Frenchy,

Thanks for your replies.

Is happiness merely a state of contentment wherein one is not troubled by anything

No, is my answer. Happiness is a positive, rather than the absence of something. For example, the fact that I am not being ill treated does not make me happy. In fact the thought of existing in an untroubled state fills me with horror. I am lazy enough at present, but I what would I do if I was fully and perpetually content? Nothing. If one definition of life is movement, I don't see how achieving contentment will do anything but bring me a dead stop. When I get back from a long swim, I sit and relax feeling contented, sometimes happy, but I wouldn't want that feeling to last forever as I'm certain I wouldn't bother to go swimming again. This is getting a circular argument, except for this: I don't go swimming for that feeling I get afterwards, I also go because if you gave me gills I would probably never return to land, and there are other reasons.

We must be hardwired to enjoy certain stimuli as babies. From there on, I think we subconsciously refer back to these emotions when things are going well in life. We also learn new emotions, or perhaps we just learn to blend the primary emotional colours (you'll notice I've never read any psychology!). So emotions come from 1st) the human body 2nd) nurturing, 3rd) society and everything else. The idea that emotions are learned is supported by cultural anthropology, for instance even the seemingly simple emotion of disgust varies widely in its objects when diverse cultures are compared. All this in included in your 'contamination'

Is happiness the absence of sorrow or is sorrow the absence of happiness?

Well, I prefer to talk about happiness and unhappiness, as bringing in sorrow complicates things. To answer your question I return to analogising, I used matter v space, you used light v darkness, fine. In the 'real', material world there is no such thing as space or darkness, these are absences of matter/light. So I see happiness 'materially', it is either present or absent.

Voltaire's Candide:

Work keeps away three great vices, boredom, vice, and need."

Stephen20:

Philo,
    if you want to be HAPPY, REMOVE human thinking. In ~IT~ remains the FLAW
    Non Human thinking has worked in the past and
    GOD uses it everyday

I did what I could with your syntax! This retort seems appropriate.

Master, we have come to ask you to tell us why such a strange animal as man was ever created.
    "What are you meddling in?" said the dervish. "Is that your business?"
    "But, Reverend father," said Candide, "there is a horrible amount of evil on earth."
    "What does it matter" said the dervish, "whether there is evil or good? When his highness sends a ship to Egypt, does he care whether the mice in the ship are comfortable or not?
    Also from Candide.

philo

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Ok Philo..but does it not come back to the ORIGiNAL question we WERE happy here on earth and then? GOD ruined us or?

I don't know many places you can have the Run of the place except for sleeping with the landlords wife.

Most people would not consider doing that to the landlord.

We had a RENT free earth, full of power (free), Full of food(free),

there was in fact NO command to EVEN WORSHIP.. just don't sleep with the guys wife( or eat his fruit)...... what is so damn hard about that.

I see in your retort that god is painted as not caring about life... and he has shown us both sides of that... he does and he does not.. just ask Bathsheebas first hubby........

still
    where
    did this
    day come from

is that not worth a celebration

in the history of man the lights have not gone out and the earth has shown up everyday

yet its not enough

we were born with happiness built in .... from lessons we learn.....about happy and sad....... sadness is just the opposite ...... why is it bad.......

Is cold good or bad..is hot good or bad..........

why is happy good and sad bad... we contain it all

• crossroads
    crossroads

Happiness is a mind thing, unless you are being raped
    or tortured ect...... . Every second of our lives we CHOSE
    to be happy or not. Chosing is part of being a "perfect"
    human---whole new thread for that thought. It is not
    something brought on by some condition or event if
    so then it would be fleeting. It can not be a humanity
    thing(plural) it's a human thing (singular). Everyone
    of us ware a pair of ruby slippers it is our CHOICE
    whether to click them or not.

Enjoy the day all it's the only one you have----of course
    it is your CHOICE.

• philo
    philo

Andee,

I think it is important that a life have direction and meaning

Yes. To me, 'direction' is much the same as motion, while 'meaning' means [] having connection in with other phenomena. We collect, and try to connect, all our meanings together and call it 'life'.

My life right now is dedicated to raising two decent human beings (my children) that will, hopefully, will be released into this world to do good things. Sounds trite? Maybe. However, I actually do not see anything more important in this world to do, than that.

Doesn't sound trite at all. Without life there might as well be no earth, or universe. And anyway, I have a soft spot for humans. It's all human rationalistic bigotry, I know, but I'm stickin' to it.

Thanks for your practical post, feet on the ground n' all.

philo

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Stephen: ‘Humanity’ can mean so many things. How are you using it here?

Andee: Thanks. I’m enjoying your comments as well. I echo Philo’s sentiments on your dedication to raising your children. Not trite at all.

Crossroads: Happiness for many people is a fleeting thing.

Philo: You’re welcome and thank you for this thread. If happiness is something positive then it must be caused by something. Question comes up: What is happiness to you?
    Also there is this to ponder as well: You can be very happy with your new pool even if you are not happily swimming in it every day. Your happiness with having the pool will not be reason to not seek then happiness of swimming in it.

Basically I tend to view happiness as a high, that is to say that no specific happiness lasts. So in this context, some specific ‘lows’ (sadness/sorrow) must of necessity exist in order for there to be the specific highs (happiness). But be that as it may I do believe that a general state of happiness can be maintained, a condition set against no specific sorrow or sadness and perhaps needing none to exist.

I think Andee has it right in that contentment is often confused with happiness. Contentment, however, can congeal into complacency and perhaps even total indifference which is not desirable at all. What we have are a lot of things playing against each other. You love the high (happiness) of having had a good swim but as much as you like that feeling you don’t want it all the time. In other words you need some cake to really enjoy the icing. I am of the opinion that at man’s present stage of development both are needed.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit