Downunder the news we'd all been waiting for!

by ozziepost 9 Replies latest social current

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

For those of us who've worked in dangerous places, we can only say "Thank goodness that's over! "

Wood thought his captors would kill him

09:24 AEST Mon Jun 20 2005 AAP

Freed Australian hostage Douglas Wood has branded his captors "a***holes" and has apologised for his plea for Australia to pull its troops out of Iraq.

The 63-year-old engineer touched down in Melbourne less than a week after his 47-day hostage ordeal ended when Iraqi and US forces rescued him from a house in Baghdad.

Mr Wood, who arrived with his wife Yvonne Given on a flight from Dubai, was reunited with family at Melbourne airport before revealing details about his time in captivity.

He told reporters he did not know what group his captors were associated with, and admitted there were times he thought he would be killed.

"I didn't know whether it was al-Qaeda or who it was. I didn't know ... obviously, my head is intact, so it wasn't al-Qaeda," he said.

He said he tried to remain upbeat and "keep laughing" during the crisis.

"I love my family, and I knew that they would be doing everything they could," he said, his wife and his brothers Vernon and Malcolm and their wives by his side.

He said he had not heard of the Mufti of Australia, Sheikh Taj Aldin Alhilali, during his captivity but learned of the Muslim cleric's efforts to secure his release after he was freed.

Asked if his captors had ever mentioned the mufti, Mr Wood replied: "No."

Mr Wood apologised to Prime Minister John Howard and US President George W Bush for comments he made while being held hostage about their involvement in the war on Iraq.

Those comments were made under duress, he said.

"I actually believe that I am proof positive that the current policy of training the Iraqi army... works because it was Iraqis that got me out," he said.

Mr Wood described the moments before he was rescued as "a bit tense" until "I fully worked out it was the Iraqi army (who) were my releasers, rather than another pack of captors."

He said he was held in two different houses, and remembers being moved from one to the other about 10 days into his ordeal.

Carrying a broad smile and a slight limp, an elated Mr Wood said it was "bloody good" to be back in Australia and reunited with his family.

Asked if he was feeling fragile, he said: "Not especially. I've got some physical ailments and I've been deprived of medication for a bit".

Certain aspects of his ordeal were still too traumatic to discuss, Mr Wood said, but he was clearly overjoyed to be on home soil, entering Monday's press conference singing Waltzing Matilda.

Mr Wood said he might one day go back to Iraq to pursue business opportunities, despite what had happened.

However his brothers were trying to persuade him not to return.

"I will listen very seriously to my brothers," Mr Wood said.

"If I went back, I'd be changing some behaviour."

Mr Wood said the hostage crisis had brought his family closer together and revealed their "very deep, strong, loving bond".

Yvonne Given said the past seven weeks had been an emotional roller coaster ride, but she never lost faith her husband would return.

"I'm so excited and so happy. I'm very grateful to the Australian government and the Iraqis and US government," she said.

Mr Wood denied signing an exclusive deal to tell his story and dismissed speculation of product endorsements following his release.

"I want to relax, enjoy myself and get myself back together," he said.

Mr Wood offered a sentence of advice to Australians considering working in war-torn Baghdad.

"Stay in the green zone," he said, of the heavily fortified central city area.

©AAP 2005

• patio34
    patio34

Nice to have one happy ending!

• hubert
    hubert

That's great news, Ozzie !

Thanks for posting it.

Hubert

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    He said he had not heard of the Mufti of Australia, Sheikh Taj Aldin Alhilali, during his captivity but learned of the Muslim cleric's efforts to secure his release after he was freed.

Asked if his captors had ever mentioned the mufti, Mr Wood replied: "No."

LOL To listen to the Shake al-Hilarity and his staff, you'd think he was single handedly responsible for the "release". But it wasn't a release it was a rescue.

Mr Wood apologised to Prime Minister John Howard and US President George W Bush for comments he made while being held hostage about their involvement in the war on Iraq.
  • Quentin
    Quentin

Wonderful. Haven't seen it on the news around here yet.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Wonderful

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

I cannot fathom how he would even consider going back. Knob.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I cannot fathom how he would even consider going back

This may help:

Wood won't go back to Iraq, says family June 21, 2005 - 10:50AM

Freed hostage Douglas Wood will not return to Iraq, says his borther.

"Douglas at the first instance did say he would consider going back to Iraq, but later on he said, in deference to his family and other people and the efforts the Australian government had gone to, it would be irresponsible for him to go back," Vernon Wood told Southern Cross radio. " ... and he definitely won't be going back."

Earlier a family spokesman has said Douglas would not return to pursue lucrative contract work involved in the re-building of the war-torn country, after Mr Wood shocked family members by not immediately ruling out a return.

Mr Wood said commercial opportunities remained in Baghdad, and he told reporters his family had spent his first 30 minutes in Australia attempting to talk him out of going back.

Later, during the same press conference, Mr Wood said: "One would be more prudent, more security conscious, the second time."

But he also added: "I probably won't go back".

The latest announcement follows a warning from a spokesman for Sheik Taj el-Din al Hilaly that Mr Wood would be in grave danger if he chose to return to Iraq after calling his captors "arseholes".

Mr Wood, 63, arrived in Australia yesterday after spending 47 days as a hostage in the war-torn country, but has indicated he may go back for business reasons.

But Keysar Trad, a spokesman for the sheik, told the Nine Network: "I would be be very afraid this time they may not just target him for captivity, they may just target him point blank."

Sheik al Hilaly is now most concerned for the two Iraqis Mr Wood was kidnapped with and who remain in captivity.

"He's quite concerned for those other two people, people who were friends of Douglas Wood, people who had worked with Douglas Wood, people who used to invite him into their homes," he said.

"The mufti has dealt with the children of one of these people and he's really concerned for these children that they might become orphans."

AAP

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

Who cares how much money is involved bugger going back. Lets hope he doesn't.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The latest news, just in:

Wood not expected to pay for rescue costs 11:18 AM June 21

The Federal Government is not expected to ask freed Australian hostage Douglas Wood to contribute to the cost of his rescue operation.

Mr Wood was held hostage in Iraq for 47 days before being rescued by Iraqi forces last week.

He has sold the rights to his story.

Defence Minister Robert Hill says it was an expensive operation, but it is the Government's responsibility to do everything possible to rescue a kidnapped Australian.

Senator Hill says any financial return to Mr Wood would be small compensation for his traumatic ordeal.

"Most of the time to be blindfolded, not to know if on any particular day you were to be shot," he said.

"It would be a horrible experience and I hope that he lives happily ever after and if that involves writing a book or making a film, and he gets financial benefit from that then from my perspective, good luck to him."

Source: ABC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit