Recent Assembly: You can be guilty of having "an apostate state of mind."

by truthseeker 33 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Found this on E-Watchman...

http://e-jehovahs-witnesses.com/viewtopic.php?t=2911

I just answered a question "off the top of my head" to a question which brought to my mind something that I heard at a talk at our assembly that has "bothered" me and I am hoping for some clarification as I would never want to be accused of what this topic is about ...

It was a talk at our recent assembly that brought out a 'new one' for me ...or perhaps I just haven't heard of it as yet ...

That a person can have an "apostate state of mind" citing the Scrpture at 2Tim. 2:16-18 right afterwards ... and some false religious beliefs such as Trinity, Hellfire etc.

That if we say .... "This is how I feel about the matter ..." Prov. 28:26 that this is an indication for someone not to believe us ... that we could be giving them an artfully contrived story or trying to deceive them ...

Now the PERSON himself would know if indeed this were true and so could certainly say that about themselves ...

But the brother was saying this in this context a little later on in the talk ...

That if a person wasn't coming to the meetings anymore ... wasn't saying anything negative about anyone, elders etc., or treating anyone badly ...

they would still be the cause of causing disunity in the congregation and be a source of stumbling for others and could cause others not to come to the meetings as well ...

In other words I guess the thought is now that you don't have to be 'actively' trying to cause others to 'leave' or 'follow you' ... if you stop associating you are 'automatically' now an 'apostate' or have an 'apostate state of mind'?

How can anyone judge another's MIND or what goes on it ... if there is no PHYSICAL or OUTWARD 'fruitage' to go on ...?

It just sounds strange to me ... was that kind of thing at any other assembly on a talk?

--------------------------------------

My own thoughts, do you think it is possible that apostacy will be more common as a reason for disfellowshipping, than say immorality?

• minimus
    minimus

This is a recurrent theme now. My mom said the PO mentioned similar stuff in his local needs talk. Quite simply, they just broaden a definition to fit their agenda. Being "apostate" could easily mean not wanting help, and setting a bad example to the others. So if you are a corrupting influence, you're no longer "one of us".

• amen
    amen

Well the society is becoming more and more paranoi.

The years before i left i could never understand at the asemblies why they talk so much about apostates and i never met one or getting close to one. Well later after reading on the internet i realised why.

Hey people at bethel stop reading stuff about apostates on the internet and you would not be so paranoi.

amen

• minimus
    minimus

amen, do you mean paranoid?

• avishai
    avishai

Hmmm. Now people can be guilty of "thoughtcrime!!!"

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Amen Amen!

Threatening talk to those still in but if it is followed on it will just result in multiplying the "apostates". The WT has already lost the "visibility" struggle on the www and in the media; I don't think they wish many more xJWs around.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Isn't it so ironic that active JWs are apostates in terms of denouncing Christianity, and even renouncing fomer JW beliefs. In the Bible there is no such thing as apostasy against an organisation!

• sir82
    sir82

I can hear Billy Joel singing it now...

"I'm in an apostate state of mi-i-i-ind..."

• Gopher
    Gopher

"Apostate state of mind" sounds like another contrived JW phrase that isn't in the Bible. (Much like "saved condition" and "Jehovah's Organization" are contrived phrases.)

Here's what 2 Timothy 2:16-18 says. See if there are any "thoughts" involved, or if it has to be words:

Avoid such godless chatter, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness, and their talk will eat its way like gangrene. Among them are Hymenae'us and Phile'tus, who have swerved from the truth by holding that the resurrection is past already. They are upsetting the faith of some.

And who judges the ones who might be guilty of having an "apostate state of mind"? Is it the elders, who by holy spirit can always tell what someone is thinking? Or is everybody supposed to judge everyone else? (Doesn't their Bible quote Jesus as saying "do not judge, that you may not be judged?)

• greendawn
    greendawn

Adding to what Jaffa wrote apostasy from the JW org is not the same as apostasy from god, contrary to what they claim. The two are very far from being identical unless seen through a seriously deluded mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit