Where's the payoff?

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

In Canada, each Kingdom Hall is listed as a charitable organization.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/dchmf/haip/srch/sec/SrchInput01Validate-e?searchMethod=2&terms=jehovah%27s&city=&prov=&postalCode=&descod=&catCode=&busno=&busno2=&pageNum=1&Button=Search

They are all registered under their parent organization,

WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF CANADA
    BN/registration number:

119288918RR0001

Here's a description of their "ongoing program"

TO ASSIST THE LOCAL UNINCORPORATED ASSOCIATION OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES IN CARRYING OUT THEIR RELIGIOUS OBJECTIVE OF PREACHING THE GOOD NEWS OF GOD'S KINGDOM AND PROMOTING PUBLIC, RELIGIOUS WORSHIP DESIGNED TO UPLIFT JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES AND ANY WHO ATTEND THEIR PUBLIC MEETINGS BY MEANS OF MORAL AND SPIRITUAL INSTRUCTION BASED ON GOD'S WORD THE BIBLE.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I'm not a jw alllalongthewatchtower but my impression from the ex-jws is that they are made to "go out in service" - ie. purchase the mags and peddle them - an ongoing record of this "service" is kept on everyone, with guilt imparted for unsatisfactory performance. They have a free door to door selling workforce, under threat of not being loved by God if performance is poor.

It is, I believe, one of the most evil groups on the face of the earth today.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Go over to Randy Waters' "freeminds' site. The literature donation set -up is the way it it to keep the WT looking like a non-for-profit, tax exempt religion. The Society was getting a lot of trouble in several European countries too. I think France just finished up with their case recently.

A few years back the Televangilists were having some trouble with the IRS and their tax status... IRS made a test-case of Jimmy Swaggart's ministry. The WTBTS's legal staff filed breifs in support of Swaggart. They needed to support Swaggart as they were next in line for the same boat ride. The WT ends up with a lot of cash and assets from wills too. The WT mag used to have regular information on how to donate your estate to the Society. Lot's of people do. They damned near ended up holding paper on a house I used to own.

It's the money... $4 billion gross is a haul.

~Hill

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Welcome to the forum. Hope your wife will eventually see the hypocrisy of that horrible religion.

I learned recently from this website, that when each congregation makes their monthly announcement of their financial affairs that a percentage--unknown to the general population of the congregation--of their so-called financial needs depend on how much money the Watchtower Society is dictating they should be sent that month. Same is true for large assemblies--they make announcements on how much in contributions they need to cover the 'cost' of the assembly, when in reality they are sending a large chunk of money to the Watchtower Society.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Those volunteer laborers in Brooklyn and Walkill are paid $90/mo in addition to their room and board.
    Minor medical and dental expenses are covered but more serious illness or long-term care brings a situation where they are co-erced to leave and have family or the state care for them.
    The $90/mo is spent on incidentals like: Toothpaste, clothing, travel expenses to their congregation (sometimes an hour's drive away).

On a congregation level, literature to take out in service (door-to-door) is picked up by each publisher (magazines have a standing order which you are required to collect even if you do not plan on going out for a few weeks). The publisher is expected to put the appropriate contribution in the donation box (people watch to make sure this happens) and then - get this - after you place with a householder and the householder makes a donation... You are expected to place THAT donation in the contribution box. Thus paying for the literature TWICE.
    There is no returning un-placed literature. Ask ANY witness, current or former, what they do with their UNplaced literature. If they are honest, you will see them smile. Maybe roll their eyes. Probably a little sigh and or a giggle. (Maybe they really have to trust you to answer that question. MIGHT be a topic for another thread..!!)

Each publisher is responsible for their own transportation. Car, car maintenance and fuel is usually necessary to go door to door and all these expenses are paid by the individuals doing the door-to-door work.

District Conventions: I learned something from this site. New releases (books, etc) are 'Guaranteed Sales' at district conventions. Each attendee will buy at least one of each and usually more. 6 million publishers (many bring other interested persons) all buy at least one copy of each release is an awful lot of money. That's on top of the parking fee and other donations that are expected to be made.

Just a few more payoff's to contribute to the puzzle.

-Aude.

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

I've begun confronting my wife with some of the information I've found out from here, doing it slowly and calmly so as not to seem argumentative. When I told her that if she started doing field service she'd have to buy the literature herself, she didn't believe it, and said she's never seen anyone pay for it, they all just show up and load it into their cars.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

They aren't "forced" to buy the literature in the common sense of the term. They are guilted into providing a "voluntary contribution" for it, as few householders pay up when they offer it to them. Then they are expected to hand in everything the do actually receive for it, into the boxes for voluntary contributions, without taking their own cut. It's a great system that potentially yields at least 100% profit in addition to anything they might have attempted to set, and whilst the reality is much lower, I understand the annual turnover is over $1B.

The publishing selling labour force is unpaid, the printers are incredibly lowly paid (as they take a vow of poverty, even though it's not allegedly a monastary, donchaknow ) at around $15/week plus food and lodgings, and hence the cost of production is far far FAR less than anyone suspects. However they are regularly reminded to consider what such a publication might cost in the shops, and let their consciences move them to donate accordingly.

The biggest pay-off is in the power-trip at every level of the heirarchy, though:

• men get to direct people around the canvasing area
    • men get to give "wise" words of counsel on the street, in their homes, and at the Hall
    • men get to advise, on a par with the word of god, how people should live every intimate area of life that they are daft/guilted enough to discuss with them
    • a few men at the top are given the opportunity to pull the theological, social, medical, etc. strings of 6 billion people

The payoff is in spades....

• Pole
    Pole
    No Titheing.

No plate to be passed.

All on "Voluntary" bible based, contributions from the heart. If your broke or rich your not required to give anything.

Christ said, quote"You recieved free, you give free", no charge. The Gospel or Kingdom is without charge.

Poor Dennis. He must really believe it.

No plate-passing. Just brainwashing.

An article from the Watchtower is quite explicit why JWs don't have to pass the plate:

w03 11/1 Cultivate a Giving Spirit ***

Ways

in Which Some Choose to Give

CONTRIBUTIONS

TO THE WORLDWIDE WORK

Many set aside, or budget, an amount that they place in the contribution boxes labeled “Contributions for the Worldwide Work—Matthew 24:14.”

Each month, congregations forward these amounts to the office of Jehovah’s Witnesses that serves their respective countries. Voluntary donations of money may also be sent directly to Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, c/o Office of the Secretary and Treasurer, 25 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, New York 11201-2483, or to the branch office that serves your country. Checks should be made payable to “Watch Tower.” Jewelry or other valuables may be donated as well. A brief letter stating that such is an outright gift should accompany these contributions.

CONDITIONAL-DONATION

ARRANGEMENT

Money may be donated under a special arrangement in which, should the donor request it, the donation may be returned to him. For more information, please contact the Office of the Secretary and Treasurer at the address noted above.

CHARITABLE

PLANNING

In addition to outright gifts of money and conditional donations of money, there are other methods of giving to benefit Kingdom service worldwide. These include:

Insurance:

The Watch Tower Society may be named as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy or a retirement/pension plan.

Bank

Accounts: Bank accounts, certificates of deposit, or individual retirement accounts may be placed in trust for or made payable on death to the Watch Tower Society, in accord with local bank requirements.

Stocks

and Bonds: Stocks and bonds may be donated to the Watch Tower Society as an outright gift.

Real

Estate: Salable real estate may be donated either by making an outright gift or, in the case of residential property, by reserving a life estate to the donor, who can continue to live therein during his or her lifetime. Contact the branch office in your country before deeding any real estate.

Gift

Annuity: A gift annuity is an arrangement whereby one transfers money or securities to the Watch Tower Society. In exchange, the donor, or someone designated by the donor, receives a specified annuity payment every year for life. The donor receives an income-tax deduction the year the gift annuity is established.

Wills

and Trusts: Property or money may be bequeathed to the Watch Tower Society by means of a legally executed will, or the Watch Tower Society may be named as beneficiary of a trust agreement. A trust benefiting a religious organization may provide certain tax advantages.

As the term “charitable planning” implies, these types of donations typically require some planning on the part of the donor. To assist individuals desiring to benefit the worldwide work of Jehovah’s Witnesses through some form of charitable planning, a brochure has been prepared in English and Spanish entitled Charitable Planning to Benefit Kingdom Service Worldwide. The brochure was written in response to the many inquiries received regarding gifts, wills, and trusts. It also contains additional useful information on estate, financial, and tax planning. It informs individuals of a variety of ways that gifts may be made either now or through a bequest at death. After reading the brochure and conferring with their own legal or tax advisers and the Charitable Planning Office, many have been able to assist Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide and, at the same time, maximize their tax benefits of doing so. This brochure may be obtained by requesting a copy directly from the Charitable Planning Office.

For more information, you may contact the Charitable Planning Office, either in writing or by telephone, at the address listed below or at the office of Jehovah’s Witnesses that serves your country.

Charitable

Planning Office

Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania

100 Watchtower Drive,

Patterson, New York 12563-9204

Telephone: (845) 306-0707

[Picture

on page 26]

What impelled the early Christians to be generous?

I love the last question which makes is all Bible-Based.

Pole

• heretic
    heretic

No Titheing.

No plate to be passed.

All on "Voluntary" bible based, contributions from the heart. If your broke or rich your not required to give anything.

Christ said, quote"You recieved free, you give free", no charge. The Gospel or Kingdom is without charge.

Ill have to agree with dennis (im guessing thats not his real name) on this one, although we were reminded to 'keep in mind the contribution box' In my 22 years a JW I prob gave $50 and noone ever knew or said anything to me. I did some mowing lawns, hall cleaning etc.also to pay my way. Theres no doubt the WTS is filthy rich. Theres no doubt they are the biggest tight arses in the world... yep id say the world. They dont need any money what with the end so close, oh hang on they need it for legal battles against abuse survivors talk about layin in the slipper.
  • heretic
    heretic

Woah, after reading poles post, im might have to take back that they dont 'push' for contributions

that articles a worry. Imagine the family members finding out someone left the family estate to the wts

ouch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit