"This Generation" change -- fallout evidence?

by reagan_oconnor 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

I was reading the recent posts on 2034 and was wondering...

The 1975 debacle left the FDS scrambling for explanations for the mass exodus of R&F who were disillusioned by their BS. The pat answer has always been, "Those people didn't keep pace with God's chariot" and they weren't "strong in the Truth" and allowed something so "minor" to "stumble" them.

The "New Light" and the change of the interpretation of the "this generation" timeframe was the straw that broke this camel's back. I would love to know if there is any information/articles that indicate the number of JWs who left after that; any indication in JW literature or info online? TIA.

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

Hmmm... can't see my post...

• Satanus
    Satanus

Your post is there. I don't know the numbers, but there a few here who said that it was what caused them to leave.

S

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

You could do a straw pole on this site.

You me and satanus, that's three....

• Satanus
    Satanus

Actually, i was already out, although still going to meetings when that generation wt came out.

S

• Netty
    Netty

Dont have the answer to your question. But an interesting note about this. I recently had a discussion with my elder father about the generation change. After he changed the subject about seven times, I finally zeroed in, and MADE him answer me. He said, that since I had been away for so long, it was all me, the society never said any such thing, and that I was just remembering it all wrong, and getting myself congused. (Guess, I'm just a dummy like that, me and how many other thousands of people) So, they are probably going to try and blame it on the rank and file, either not understanding correctly, or taking things too literally, whatever excuse they can. But bottome line, it aint their fault. I gave up on him, I knew there would be no getting through.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

That's interesting S. From what I have read here, it appears that many had lingering doubts and the generation issue was the tipping point. Waddayareckon?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I know that I didn't like it when they did it. I had lots of things that sent up red flags though.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

And Netty. The same for me. When I challenged the elders they said I had had it all wrong, that the society always said that. Funny how no one picked me up on the point going door to door for 20 years!!!!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Doof

From what I have read here, it appears that many had lingering doubts and the generation issue was the tipping point.

Yes, for quite a few. 1995 was also the yr that the 'new light' on the sheep and goats came on. I had already read ray franz' coc. Reading that book, saw instantly that the wt was not being directed by god. That did it for me. I continued w the meetings and stuff in to give me a chance to try to get some jws out. Didn't work, but a yr later, they dfd me.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit