Read any good books lately?

by chrissy 26 Replies latest jw friends

• chrissy
    chrissy

So, I will be down and out for awhile after a little surgery this week and I am trying to get a few books to keep myself amused and I am looking for suggestions on something you may have read recently and enjoyed. I prefer non-fiction, but will consider reading anything highly recommended, as long as it contains at least a spark of truth.

Well, I will recommend a book to you all…A few days ago, I finished reading “Into The Wild” by Jon Krakauer…a biographical story about a young man who, after graduating college, got rid of all of his belongings and hitch-hiked across the country in search of Jack London-esque adventures. Much to the dismay of his parents, who expected him to return home in time to attend law school, he chose to abandon a conventional lifestyle of “things” and continue his adventure in Alaska. He never returned home. His body was found in an old abandon bus out in the middle of the bush (Stampede trail near Denali) a year later. He starved to death. Anyway, I highly recommend it. But don’t say I didn’t warn you in that it left me utterly disturbed.

Allow me to add, I have read all of the relevant exjw material. Looking for something a little different than that.

Thanks!!

Chrissy

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I just finished "Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Society". What a great read, seriously. A terrific run down of the generally accepted ideas of human pre-history and the evolution of civilization. Awesome!

GBL

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

That is still pretty broad. It's nice that you're open, but what are you more interested in? In the past these threads get pretty full, chances are you will either not get to all of the recommendations nor be interested in all of them, so maybe we can narrow it down a bit?

• lawrence
    lawrence

Read a wonderful book a few weeks ago, "Cuban Prospect" about a Cuban phenom baseball pitcher who is being "shipped" out of Cuba to play in the BIG leagues. Great tale, as well as a wonderful picture of current Cuban life from a "Yankee's" point of view. Reads smooth, and this is his first novel.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Try Patricia Cornwell's "Portrait of a Killer" about Jack the Ripper. Good read.

Also Gavin Menzies' "1421 --The Year China Discovered America." Critically acclaimed, the author plays fast and loose with a bunch of historical facts and artifacts, but it's a fascinating and plausible read anyways.

Fiction: (well, more fiction than the above, LOL!) I would be remiss if I didn't throw a plug in for the DUNE series, haha! For a fluffy futuristic treat, try James Halperin's "Truth Machine" and "The First Immortal." Fantasy/Time travel disguised as Sci-Fi, try Orson Scott Card's "Pastwatch--The Redemption of Christopher Columbus."

History: try Bruce Catton's Civil War volumes, "This Hallowed Ground," "A Stillness at Appomattox," "Mr. Lincoln's Army," etc.

I second the nod to "Guns, Germs and Steel." Also, if you enjoyed "Into the Wild," you might want to take a look at "Under the Banner of Heaven." Yes, religious, but soooooo interesting.

• BadJerry
    BadJerry

I Love Sylvia Browne, After a DF sister told me she was psychic I said yeah sure.

Then I saw Sylvia on Montel and have read quite a few of her books. The one I started with was The Other Side and Back.

This will totally open your eyes to the holographic universe ..

Oh the sister, she sure is psychic, she can sense certain spirits as well as smell them

from imanaliento

• Funchback
    Funchback

Letter's From a Nut by Ted L. Nancy (a/k/a Jerry Seinfeld).

Is it juvenille? Yes. Is it hysterically funny? Absolutely. Letter's sent to hotels, corporations, businesses (large and small). Here's a link to review what others have said about this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/0380973545/ref=dp_proddesc_0/104-9591624-1659109?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=507846

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    “Into The Wild” by Jon Krakauer

Chrissy, one of my favorite books of all time!

also, the book GBL mentions: my bro-in-law just finished it too, and thinks it is an awesome read as well.

regarding your request:

• Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan
    • The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins
    • The Bible Unearthed - Isreal Finkelstein
    • The Science of Good and Evil - Michael Shermer

best wishes in your recovery!

TS

• chrissy
    chrissy
    That is still pretty broad. It's nice that you're open, but what are you more interested in? In the past these threads get pretty full, chances are you will either not get to all of the recommendations nor be interested in all of them, so maybe we can narrow it down a bit?

I see.

Hmmm, I guess I could narrow it down a little bit and say I am most interested in science related topics, philosophical ideas, travel and geographical subjects, classic literature, biographies, shoot... I could go on and on. lol.

I like the suggestions so far. Even if I don't end up reading them this week, I enjoy hearing about what other people are currently reading and loving.

How about: no romance, no sci-fi, no political (unless geo-relevant). That is as narrowed down as I get.

• Odrade
    Odrade

LOL! Well there goes most of MY list...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit