Cook at home or eat out?

by greendawn 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• greendawn
    greendawn

Do you know how to cook, even just a few simple recipes, or do you hate the idea of home cooking and prefer to always rely on restaurants and take aways, or just prepare easy snacks like sandwiches and melted cheese on toast?

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I love to cook. My figure shows it as does my hubbys. Funny though is that it is more expensive to cook for your family than just go out for a meal in the city. Lots of little mom and pop restaurants that serve a complete meal for $4.50 a plate and $3.00 for your child. I can't get out of the store for under $15.00 when buying ingredients for a nice meal if not more. A pan of lasagne will cost upwards of $23.00 for the ingredients.

Sooooo

If eating simply we eat at home. For dishes which are complicated and require a lot of ingredients, we'll just cop out and eat at a restaurant.

J

• greendawn
    greendawn

So unlike in the UK where eating out costs a lot more in the USA it's cheaper!

• Scully
    Scully

I love to cook. I find it's really expensive to eat out compared to cooking at home, but then I have my pantry and freezer pretty well stocked and I buy ingredients on sale and/or in bulk so I have them on hand. I wouldn't dream of making a lasagne from scratch if I was paying full price for the ingredients. When the large 1½ pound blocks of good mozzarella cheese are on sale for $3.99, that's when we have homemade lasagne.

I'll also buy the large packages of extra lean ground beef and prepare several meals worth of meatballs and freeze them. They're quick and easy meals for when I'm getting ready to work a night shift.

I've been finding that restaurant quality is getting worse over the last year. We went out for breakfast this morning and I ordered my favorite: an omelette with cheese and mushrooms. The mushrooms were from a can. The cheese was one of those Kraft singles. It wasn't the usual fare for that restaurant, and we found out there was new management. I happened to pick up the manager's card on the way out - turns out it's a JW we used to be acquainted with when we first moved to the area. We won't be eating there again.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It really irritates me too when the restauranters try to sqeeze a bit more profit out of the customer by using cheaper ingredients when they already have very good mark ups.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

$4.50 a plate? Where do you live, Jeannie? Here in Boise, even a meal at Burger King costs more than that!

One thing I do miss from NY, however, was the small, immigrant-run take-out places. If you knew the right places, you could get a non-fancy but very tasty dinner for the same price as fast food.

I think cooking is almost always cheaper than take-out if you take into account both quantity and quality. E.g. if you spend the same amount on ingredients as you would to buy the meal in a restaurant, then you'll either a) have leftovers for another night, which means that your actual cost for cooking is half that of eating out, or else b) end up with a much better quality meal. At least, that's my experience.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Let's see my hubby is vegetarian (as am I), is Asian so can't have dairy products, is allergic to mangos, avacados, and papaya, and hates portabello mushrooms. So it's easier for me to make dinner....LOL

We do eat at a Tibetian, Vietnamese, Indian, Afghani, Mexican, or Japanese resturant when we do eat out.

• luna2
    luna2

I flip flop. I'll cook stuff at home for a while and then I'll have a week when I'll buy dinner. It's just me now so it's not a big expense to pick up a salad or something.

I still haven't learned to cut down on the amount of food I make, so when I cook, I'm eating leftovers for a long time. LOL

• greendawn
    greendawn

Are all Orientals allergic to dairy produce? (that is they lack the enzyme that digests the kind of sugar present in milk which then irritates the intestines) It's bad news for cheese makers.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    $4.50 a plate? Where do you live, Jeannie?

LOL drive through town and find where the big-rig's and choppers are parked. The food will be tasty, plentiful and inexpensive...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit