Did you ever celebrate Christmas, and do you miss it?

by sonnyboy 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Es
    Es

Christmas time is great i am so glad i started fading my the time my sons first christmas came along as i have been able to live through him. Last year he helped me put the tree up and helped decorate it. Every night before he went to bed he would say goodnight to the christmas tree it was beautiful. Im sad i missed out on that for approx 23 years but def making up for it now es

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Yes I did celebrate it and yes I do miss it still!

When hubby was alive(JW) I dreaded the holidays. I would feel so out of place. The kids always had me over so I could celebrate it with them but hubby gave me such a hard time it wasn't worth it to have a tree. But I have beautiful memories of our tree when I was a child. I remember staring at it and thinking that it must have come from heaven because it was so beautiful.

The kids (I call them kids even tho they are in their 40's now) celebrate full force. They too had it hard as a JW child. I never felt it was wrong..just went along with the JW's because they said not to celebrate it. I was such a wimp!

I have a hard time still even tho hubby is gone in putting up a tree..it just doesn't seem that important now. But I may change my mind..come holiday season and I start buying presents..might be fun to have them under the tree!..

Snoozy..who remembers as a child when "Downtown" used to have anitmated christmas figures in the windows and we would go see them every year and it usually snowed to make it perfect!..Can't go near Downtown now after dark..it isn't safe anymore.And the stores all have bars on the windows..no decorations.

• Gill
    Gill

Both my husband and myself grew up as JWs and never had the opportunity to celebrate Christmas.

We're making up for lost time now.

My husband already has the christmas lights going up in the garden and bought some more on Friday and put those up. He got the kids to get out of bed when it became dark and we all had to go outside and look at dad's new christmas light....(big baby).

Last year was our first christmas with tree and everything. We loved it and will be doing it EVERY year. It's fun and wonderful and we're all ready buying little things for the kids!!!

Hehe hehe! Now there's something great to look forward to in the winter.

And we get to do fireworks on November the 5th as well!!!!!!! Whoohooo!!!!!!

• greendawn
    greendawn

After leaving the JWs I hesitated for a while due to the mind conditioning but after a few years I thought it would be a good idea to celebrate. The JWs (Rutherford) always made the most negative associations with Christian holidays because they wanted to isolate their members from other faiths. So what? Even if Christmas had pagan origins its spirit was certainly not pagan.

The only thing was not to use it as an excuse to over eat and put on a lot of weight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit