What's the fuss about CLEARPLAY? Latest in TV/DVD censorship

by Funchback 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Funchback
    Funchback

http://www.clearplay.com/

Hollywood hates it.

Many parents like it.

What's your position on it?

My JW elder brother is a tighta$$. He once tried to counsel me because I said the word "nipple".

One day, I was housesitting (and catsitting) for him and his Pioneer wife. Anyway, I was watching a videotape of 'See Spot Run'. That movie was PG! There was a scene in the movie where Anthony Anderson said, "I bet you I can pick up that five dollar bill with my butt". The Clearplay censored the word "butt". This was rather annoying. By the way, my borther and his wife are without children. They are so friggin' prude.

Oh, and he once was offended at this: My brother and his brilliant wife and a bunch of us were at a gathering (TM) . The owners of the house had a rather large dog. Anyway, as most male dogs (heck, males in general...LOL) do, he got a little aroused. His penis was showing. My wonderful sister-in-law asks another pioneer lady, "What's that thing?!?". The pioneer lady said, "That's his penis". My brother turned red. He was making grunts of disapproval (you know, "Ugh!", "Aw!", and "Hmph!"). He was so uptight about the word "penis". And "nipple".

EDITED to say: The entire population of JWs would probably like to invent a true-life Clearplay.

• loosie
    loosie

She didn't know that it was the dog's penis. What is this girl sheltered? Hasn't she ever gone to a state fair and seen the horses? How old is she 7?

• Funchback
    Funchback

She was a serious as a heart attack!

loosie, I can't begin to tell you how many JWs that I've personally known who seemed like they just crawled out from underneath a rock.

• CinemaBlend
    CinemaBlend

Here's what's wrong with it....

Regardless of the reason they are doing it, they are altering the work of an artist without the artist's permission.

Film, believe it or not is art. In fact it is the most influential form of art in our culture.

Imagine if someone decided to paint a mustache on the Mona Lisa!

Now you might be asking, "But CinemaBlend, what's the difference between this and when they edit movies to show them on TV?"

Simple... those edits made to movies to show them on TV are made WITH THE ARTISTS PERMISSION. They have control over their work and can maintain the integrity of their work. Clearplay does this WITHOUT THE ARTISTS PERMISSION and that is why Hollywood, anyone who respects art, anyone who cares about free expression, why YOU should be pissed off as hell about ClearPlay too.

• Sith
    Sith

Here is what the difference is. If I bought a painting and hung it in my house, I could do whatever I wanted with it. I COULD paint a mustache on my copy of the Mona Lisa. Nobody is altering anything original. They are editing it for their own personal use. By the way CinemaBlend, I just drew a mostache on your avatar

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    The entire population of JWs would probably like to invent a true-life Clearplay.

LMAO... can you just imagine. some entertainers would no longer be heard. I mean, their lips would move, but you'd only hear, "And ***to***the***in the*** all night long! Ooooo, waaa, to be with her in my *** on the *** and I'd kill the ****, ****ing cops in my neighborhood with my ***** *****ing ****"

I'd be hilarious...

J

• Funchback
    Funchback

Personally, I believe that if it's the film is that peppered with language (take, for example, The Blues Brothers), then the Producer/Director/Writer didn't intend for that movie to be watched by those who are offended by obscenities.

Just don't watch or rent the film if the language offends you (that is my humble opinion).

Besides, movies such as The Blues Brothers and Blazing Saddles are simply not as funny without the obscenities.

Really, when you think about it, isn't the Bible X-Rated?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    isn't the Bible X-Rated

If it were a movie, it wouldn't even be allowed in theaters that show NC-17 stuff.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Sith...

Your response was so funny!

Speaking of Avatars, there was a cat...er...guy that used to post here who used a similar avatar as you.

His name was Fredhall.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I got downright angry about this subject with my witness family the other day, lol.

We had been talking about how my brother-in-law couldn't understand much of the movie "Angela's Ashes", as he's a bit hard of hearing, and the thick accents kept him from understanding. But here's the clincher, it was also doubly hard to understand because they were watching some kind of edited "PG" version of the movie! It just set me off! I muttered to my sister and mom, "just watch the damn movie, this is a guy's life you're editing".

It really is an affront to honesty, common sense, and as Cinema Blend mentioned, art, to support editting movies this way. This was a movie showing the true story of the gritty life of a kid, and these marmalade brained adults can't watch it?

Funny thing is, they've managed to survive watching every James Bond movie that came along (really just about ANY pg13 movie).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit