The Office

by JW83 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• JW83
    JW83

Why oh why has American tv made its own version of this brilliant British series?! It's like Cracker all over again! Can't Americans understand the accent? Or is it a cultural superiority thing?!

Sorry, don't mean to bash the Yanks, but I just don't geddit!

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Agreed.

I just cant imagine a non-British "Office".Surely no-one can replicate Ricky Gervais?

Only he can fuse flash dance with MC Hammer!! Lol

• Angharad
    Angharad

Arrggh its not going to be like the American version of Men Behaving Badly is it ??? all the politically incorrect and funny bits chopped out

Nothing can beat Ricky Gervais

• luna2
    luna2

I think some tv execs here have trouble coming up with concepts....and they want instant hits. It's probably easier to sell an idea that has been a success elsewhere.

I don't know if British (or other countries') TV is like this, but it seems that here, once you have a hit, there are suddenly six clones of it that spring up on other networks. We have "reality" tv up the yingyang right now (which I'm not a fan of, so I get pretty annoyed lol). They've always done spin-offs of hit shows, but now its almost overboard. There are four variations of Law & Order and three of CSI.

As far as Americanizing a Brit show..??? Who knows. I watch a lot of the British series that they show on PBS here and have no trouble understanding, even though I'm sure I miss the odd joke now and then.

• under74
    under74

I thought it already got cancelled.

I love Steve Corell (American version)on the Daily Show but there's no way the American version of The Office could top the original.

...I think it got cancelled.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I've never heard of it. I guess the US version didn't go very well.

I just recently discovered that Three's Company was also a British rip-off. The pilot episode was nearly identical to the British version.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

The worst thing Ive seen like this was the US version of Fawlty Towers..... oh dear oh dear oh dear.

• JW83
    JW83

I don't know whether it has been cancelled, but it is showing in Australia this week! Yes, that's right, we get US ripoffs of Brit shows on commercial tv, after our public broadcaster has shown all of the original series that most people missed!!!

A US version of Fawlty Towers?!! How can you improve on perfection? How can you even try to imitate perfection?!!

• JV
    JV

The show hasn't been cancelled, unfortunately it's coming back in the fall, but i think that's because NBC's progamming is seriously hurting. The british version is outstanding, pure gold. I recently heard about the show so i decided to give it a try so i downloaded, i loved it so much i went out and bought it the next day ( there's a note to all you record and tv execs lurking on this forum, if you put out good product people will buy it!!!! the reason people download music is we don't want to pay 15 bucks for a cd with one good song ) but that's another topic for another day, where was I???? The pilot of the american version was a straight copy of the british version, it was garbage, i've got nothing against steve carrel, his produce pete segments on the daily show are classic but something just gets lost in translation. I mean how many good original shows get cancelled here?? tons tv execs are idiots plain and simple. Thank god the new exec at Fox decided to renew Arrested Development the only good comedy show on american tv today. The moral of the story is don't be unoriginal bastards don't cancel new shows after 5 episodes give them some time to grow remember, Seinfeld wasn't a hit right away and we all know how that turned out. There's my rant for today, The tele, something dear to my heart, after all it did raise me.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

The US version of The Office is awful. But not every Americanized version of a British show is bad. Anybody remember "All in the Family"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit