Starting diet again.

by greendawn 30 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

I have started my diet two days ago because eating too many nuts and chocolates over a couple of months made me gain quite a bit of weight.

Now I have to lose 10Kg (22 pounds)and in this diet i will be doing 1800 calories per day and go for a one hour walk along the beach. No chocolates, biscuits, cakes, crisps (chips) or nuts and I should be on target by mid September. It's rather slow but sure, crash diets simply don't work and can even do harm.

Any dieters/ex dieters here with interesting experiences or points?

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I have to lose weight too. What helped me (but I have to get back into it) was Paul McKenna's new book. Basically what it tells you to do is eat much much slower and concentrate on your food a lot more, chew more than usual. It helps you feel more full somehow and makes you want to eat less. I did this along with drinking a lot of water and taking Soya Lecithin (fat emulsifier) and it seemed to work quite well.

• sugarbritches
    sugarbritches

HI- I too am trying to lose weight. I get up every morning and have good intentions- but by the end of the day I have given in to the urge to eat. I need to lose 30 pounds- I just don't know how to do it- seems like I can't find the boost I need to get started.I wish you all success on your weight loss journey. Sugarbritches

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I haven't had to struggle much with weight (yet), but I learned in my fitness class that aerobic exercise is the number one factor in losing weight. Caloric intake is secondary. Sudden reduction in calories can cause the metabolism to slow down, making you gain even more weight in the long run.

It makes sense to me. I once worked with my stepfather for a week doing landscaping. It was backbreaking work, and every day for lunch we'd be so hungry that we'd eat at least two sandwiches, which is a lot for me. Even though I ate more than normal, I lost nearly 5 pounds during that week.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I can only lose weight long term if I end a relationship, so am seriously considering dumping my BF!

I need to lose at least 40 lbs, more like 50lbs. I went on the atkins for two weeks a year ago and lost 14 pounds, then I went back to eating normally - BIG MISTAKE. I gained an extra 14 pounds and some within 8 months. I would say unless you are committing to the Atkins forever its not a good way to diet.

Exercise is definitely the best way - find something you like and do lots of it - thats how I lost 30lbs 8 years ago after I ended my last relationship. I went to aquaaerobics by myself last night for the first time - it was really fun and being under water no one could see me wobbling - well except when we had to jump up and down out of the water and the weight of the water on my cossie pulled it down a little too low!

I'm trying to make my last meal of the day as early as possible and fairly light and too snack only on fruit - however I just had salt and vinegar discos so am feeling a bit guilty now....

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I lost 20 lbs in a matter of about 2-3 months.

It's good you're counting your calories, but if you want to speed up the weight loss, do cardio that's a little more high intensity. Hitting the excercise bike for 10 - 20 minutes a day will get you more results than a 1 hour walk (I tried walking and it didn't help). Walking helps keep you active, but a good workout on an excercise bike will help burn off a lot more.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Thanks for that tip nosferatu - I've got an exercise bike in my garage so I might haul that out... I walk at least 3 miles if not more a day to and from work and I agree whilst it helps me stay a bit more alert it hasn't kept my weight down much.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    Hitting the excercise bike for 10 - 20 minutes a day will get you more results than a 1 hour walk (I tried walking and it didn't help).

Exactly. Effective aerobic exercise keeps the heart rate at a certain elevation for a certain period of time (I don't remember the exact numbers, but it can be found on the Internet).

This is why many people hire personal trainers or go to the gym. They know all the secrets to help one lose weight.

• Emma
    Emma

It sounds like you're off to a good start. Beginning with realistic expectations will really help. Weight that comes off fast nearly always comes back on the same way. There's no magic pill, though we never give up hoping!

Exercise that gets your heart rate up is good, farther/longer rather than faster is supposed to be best. I mix power walking with an exercycle. My weight loss has slowed to about half a pound a week; I have another 10 to 15 pounds to go. Where ever I am by fall will be my new goal!

Good luck. It would be nice to check in with each other every week. Is there a way to do that?

Emma

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I've lost about 175 pounds over the last two years using primarily the Weight Watchers program. It's a good, balanced diet and there are no "illegal" foods - you make your own choices about what to eat. I do exercise now (joined a gym), but didn't really start until I had already lost about 100 lb.

Of course, not being a JW anymore and not being married to my JW ex-wife helped, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit