Sooo....anybody know of any IT jobs in Oregon? (Or...anywhere?)

by Xander 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Xander
    Xander

I've been working at a telephony company doing primarily SQL database stuff for the past 7 years, and the last year of that telecommuting from Oregon (they didn't want to lose such a valued employee, so made arrangements for that).

Unfortunately, our CEO died recently (within the past 6 weeks), the resulting turmoil with investors and customers is causing the company to go out of business. Should last out the end of the month, but, then, that's it.

As a result, I'm looking for IT work in Oregon, but...well, I'm just not having any LUCK with positions listed in the papers and on Monster.com. And I've been searching a while! When he died, I took the hint and started furiously applying everywhere I could, but, again, no luck so far...

Anybody here work for a company in Oregon that they know is hiring in the IT department?

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Nope, but if its any consolation there are no IT jobs in the UK either. Just lots of call centres and mobile phone shops...

• Xander
    Xander

It's really quite a drag, though. I mean, everyone is talking about how "recovered" the economy is....but I'm still not seeing any jobs!

(It's gotten to the point that - while I LOVE Oregon - I'd really be happy moving somewhere to find a job that fits my skill set. Oh, sure, there are SOME low-level IT jobs in town, but the best offer I've had so far is HALF what I'm making now, and according to the national averages, I'm *already* underpaid for my position! Depressing! Would really dig a job working with Visual Studio and SQL, but....just hard to come by.....)

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Visual Studio

hey xander,

i feel your pain man. in addition to being a sys admin, i have had to learn a couple of programming/scripting languages to remain desireable. have you found that a lot more jobs in oregon these days are asking for experience with opensource technologies? i have, here in canada. i started out as a windows admin, but i am now more of a BSD and linux sys admin, postgreSQL admin, PHP programmer, python programmer. weird. more and more shops are wanting less and less to do with proprietary technologies.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Xan, where in Oregon?

• Xander
    Xander

Right now we are in Bend, but I'm looking in Salem, Eugene, and Portland (and even to across the river in Vancouver, WA).

Honestly, if it means I can get a job well suited to my skills, I'd be open for a position in pretty much ANY state (except Ohio or Nevada - personal reasons). Carolinas are pretty high on our list, too. Washington, etc.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I know of a position in New Jersey that will involve LDAP work. They are looking for C++ or C#

• Swan
    Swan

I know of a job in Salem that may be opening up in the area of ASP.NET development and SQL Server Admin. Right now it is opened internally to staff for transfer, but if they don't get a certain level of response, then they will have to open it to the public. If it does get taken by one of the staff, then their position will also open up, same thing, but at a lower grade of pay. You will be working in a position of a woman who arranged a very early retirement, taking a financial hit, just to leave this place and a supervisor she couldn't stand, so be warned. I'll keep you posted.

Tammy

• Xander
    Xander
    I know of a position in New Jersey that will involve LDAP work. They are looking for C++ or C#

I'd love a chance to work in such an environment, but the reason I mentioned SQL is because that's what I excel at *right now*. My degree (an AAB - hey, when I got it, that ALONE caused enough waves in the hall since I gave up pioneering to pursue it) is in Client-Server programming in a Visual Studio environment. I wrote the case project in Visual C++ (for the dll components) and the GUI interface in Java2. Anyway, my point is, that's pretty much it for my exposure to Visual Studio - I love it, I've done a lot of coding in Visual C++ 6.0 as a hobby, and I want to do it as a job...but I have relatively little "real world" experience with it. Analysing some code from our company with our engineers to identify bugs is pretty much it, no development work in a production environment. But MS-SQL...oh, SQL I know backwards and forwards and inside out. And, as with any IT position, the usual rigamarole of other stuff - I build PCs for a hobby, helped set up several client Windows Domain servers and NT networks w/ Active Directory, etc. Ran client trainings, wrote most of our company's tech documents. Which is why I defined the position I was looking for as I did above. Ideally, start with a heavy SQL component, so I can "hit the ground running" with the company, and have the ability to transfer (or take on additional responsibilities) in Visual Studio development. (FWIW, I have a 'half-bunk' resume posted on my site. --> Link <--. All the information is correct, I've just replaced the names and addresses with bogus information since Google has so kindly indexed my page and I'd like to keep a LITTLE privacy without someone contacting me for the info.)

• Odrade
    Odrade

WebMD and Volantis are rumored to be hiring in the PDX area.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit