Genesis 6:2 - The "sons of God"

by rocketman 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• M.J.
    M.J.

I think Nark's point is that things aren't so black and white. Even if you don't accept the bible as God's word, you can't discount it as completely irrelevant, given its significant impact on history and society. Not to mention the historical window it provides and how millions, if not billions of people look to it as a source of guidance and authority.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Are you postulating that after the upteenth number of translated versions of manuscripts that are no longer in existence, you are attaching credence and literary value to it? Historically it is inaccuarate, so what history are you proving?

History of literature, history of thought, history of religion / myths / beliefs... to each of them it is relevant imo.

One very interesting part to me is that Genesis 6:1-4 is one of the many (but seldom noticed) vestiges of polytheistic thought within the sacred writings of monotheism. The reinterpretation of the gods as angels (1 Enoch, Jude, 2 Peter) shows how it was modified by its reception in monotheism -- and the still later interpretations of the sons of God as men reveals that Christians in the long run became uneasy with the first monotheistic reinterpretation. We're tracing the history of stories, of beliefs, of imagination. Nothing else to me -- but many people here are coming from a realistic take on such stories and can benefit from putting them into perspective.

We've picked up a book on the shelf believing it was history. Halfway through it we realised it was (at least in part) fiction. Some of us will throw the book in rage. Others will start reading again, with renewed interest.

However you need not be interested.

• Stephen John Gault
    Stephen John Gault

Narc - you are a cool guy. Tempted you into sparring, but you maintained perfect equilibrium. Cheers my man! - I will sit back and just observe. Smiles!

• noko59
    noko59

I thought the Son Of God died when he took up death as a man, a son of man and was resurrected from the dead back into heaven. As the saying goes, "Let the dead bury the dead".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit