Society record keeping

by Jeffro 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

One month after writing a letter to the Society directing that they destroy, or return to me, all records pertaining to me and today I received a phone call from one of the 'elders'. (I sent this letter a few days after the elders announced that I was "no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" [though on the phone they had told me it would be announced that I had disassociated]. For the record I had explicitly directed 6 months ago that no such announcement be made because I have no status with the organization).

Significantly, I said in my letter to the Society that they were to reply directly to me and not via the local elders. So much for discretion.

Anyway, the 'elder' said that he would drop off what they have sent back to me... I'll confirm whether they have complied or not when I know more...

Anyone else had issues with the Society retaining records without permission?

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I went to my JC meeting right when I started posting here. Sadly, I didn't have any time to look over the "Pay Attention" book before hand nor to read other people's experiences.

I was shocked at the amount of notes they wrote and I would like to read them. Perhaps after I DA myself I'll go get them and see what they had to say...

• FairMind
    FairMind

I'm not surprised at all that the society does as it wishes regarding information it has on its' members. I know that in my own case there was a ton of correspondence between Brooklyn and local elders and COs concerning me. I don't know what was in the correspondence but I do know that I am not allowed to see any of it. I'm still an active JW and know that a negative letter followed me to my current congregation but again I am not allowed to see it. I would like to see it in order to make sure it is completely factual which I don't believe it is.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

The height of paranoia.....

an organization that keeps extensive notes on you whenever they get you into one of their kangaroo courts but refuse to let you defend yourself in any meaningful way or record the proceedings.

If they ever called me to one of those meetings...I got three words for them....

Kiss My Ass !!!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I have received an envelope delivered by the elders to my mailbox. (no stamp) They have sent back only recent correspondance that I knew they had. They have not confirmed deletion of all records pertaining to me as was specifically directed. I had also explicitly instructed that they reply directly to me rather than through the elders. It is possible that they may have deleted other records but who knows?

They really do seem to think that they are a law unto themselves.

• rebel8
    rebel8

It is in the Pay Attention book that you have the right to have all records of your membership in the borg destroyed upon request. It doesn't say a time frame for them to respond.

How could the records be sent w/o contacting the local elders, who have the records?

• Bluegrass Tom
    Bluegrass Tom

In the USA it can be a little different. The easiest way to handle this is to spend a few bucks and have your records requested in a letter from an Attorney. That will stop all the nonsence.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    How could the records be sent w/o contacting the local elders, who have the records?

I sent a separate letter to the local elders for records that were held locally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit