Do JWs believe in "signs"

by Shawn 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shawn
    Shawn

Do JWs believe that God can use mundane everyday things to show his will? My friend says she doesn't believe in signs, I am wondering if this is a JW mindset or her personal one. It is something I have asked her and she said it was her beliefe but I wonder how much the WTS had to do with it.

• Honesty
    Honesty

They believe in visble signs as in... The JW Governing Body and the 'Society' is a visible representation of God's voice for all mankind.

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

JW's will often admit that it was a 'sign' that first brought them INTO the JW religion. They were at a low point in their life and 'prayed to God' for a 'sign'. It was at that very time that the JW's came a knockin' at their door and offered them a 'Bible study'! The rest, as they say is history.

They also believe in 'signs of the end times' - that the 'big A' is just around the corner - because of (blank) event that has just occured.

NewLight2

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Well they don't believe my sign that says NO SOLICITATIONS!!!

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

Good question. I can remember all sorts of "examples" of "signs" of God's "favour" or "protection" for witnesses given during talks. Most resolve around tales of personal "protection" or economic assistance from the big J. One story was about a derelict who was going to attack a JW lady out in service but decided against it because of the two "angels" behind her - anybody remember that one?

This sort of phenomonan (sp?) in interpreting coincidental events is fairly widespread but I can't recall it's name though. Help anyone?

W.

• MOS
    MOS

They do believe in signs... those that suit their propaganda: earthquakes, war, crime, increase to their ranks and the like. How excited they get if a major news event (or minor, for that matter) happens that they can point to and say: 'See the END is NEAR!!!!!' 'Preach More!'

Everything else is the Devil's work...

• FairMind
    FairMind

I started believing in signs after being given a ticket for not stopping at one.

• Shawn
    Shawn

Do JW's believe in signs like, they are thinking of some one and a song comes on they like together so they call them, or they see something on tv that reminds them of a discussion they had earlier. Do they dismiss that or could it be God saying something? Is it even a JW thing?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

When it's convenient, they certainly do believe in them, or at least exploit them for motivational purposes.

We have all heard the experience of the person who quit his job to go to the convention, and when he returned, got a better job. Or the person who was praying for answers when a knock came at the door. JWs are very big on divine intervention when it works in their favor. When someone narrowly averts a car accident on the way to a convention, that's God's protection. But, when a person is run over out in service, well, that's just a random accident.

• jula71
    jula71

They defiantly believe in signs. It’s pretty funny actually. Every time someone in the UN as much as hiccups, I hear from my family they’re ready to turn on religion!! The end is almost here!! They are very wrapped up in watching world news looking for anything they can attach a prophesy to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit