Women are not fitted to carry a drum - Awake! 12/22/50, 27.

by Unfinished Mystery 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Unfinished Mystery
    Unfinished Mystery

What a downright moronic article! It is amazing that a self-described religious magazine would use such a totally

irrelevant piece of news to further its misogynistic agenda:

"Faint Foils Feminist.

Last May 24, Dr. Edith Summerskill was opening a schoolgirls' exhibition in London, England, seizing the

oportunity for a talk on women's rights. Just as Dr. Summerskill was saying, "Not many years ago it was

said that women were not fitted to carry a drum," a girl drummer in the women's army band before the speaker's

dais fainted. At once, the speaker broke from her speech and rendered first aid. When the girl did not immediately

respond, Dr. Summerskill resumed her position on the platform, stating, "I know she would rather I went on. May

men who have had to stand under similar circumstances have often fainted, and I have had to go forward and aid them

in the same way." However, the girl showed no signs of coming around as the speaker continued, whereat

Dr. Summerskill hastily declared the exhibition open and returned to the patient until she recovered."

Awake!, December 22, 1950, p. 27.

JWs: We don't say such things anymore!

Me: Sure, but the guys running the show now were the teenagers who grew up

taking for granted that this load of rubbish was the true word of God.

Unfinished Mystery

• skyman
    skyman

I agree. It allways hurt me to see how the sisters were treated. They were treated as second [trash] hand people in the BORG. Totally not the way it should be.

• metatron
    metatron

Hmm...

maybe their boobs get in the way.

metatron ( rim shot , please)

• zulukai
    zulukai

The only "boobs" that get in the way are sexist men looking for proof that the female of the species is weak and inferior. What about the fact that male army cadets have fainted on the parade grounds many times in the past and will continue to do so during ceremonies that keep them standing in the sun for hours on end. Women in many religions are regarded as second class humans. Many ethnic societies have sayings and "proverbs" aimed at keeping the women chained to stoves, behind closed doors or on their backs fulfilling their duties as sex objects and baby makers. A doctor I worked with once said he knows for a fact that the pain of the average childbirth would kill the average man. In Africa most tribes have women totin' that barge an' liftin' that bale walking miles for water with a little kid hanging off the end of each breast, a load that would bring a forklift to it's knees on their heads, and picking up firewood along the way. When they get back to the village where are the men? In one article I read the village men were out in the rhubarb some where sitting around a pot of cow pucky and applying it to their hair AND tarting up their faces with cosmetic paints! They apparently go out once in a while, spear some creature, drag it back to the village to the women and get right back to the Jungle Day Spa for their beauty treatments! I rest my case.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    Hmm...

Well it's not like women are the only ones to have boobs. I see some guys walkin' around with the man-boob thing going on, and I suppose they wouldn't be fitted to carry a drum either.

**thinks about renting Fight Club in the near future**

laters

kaykay_mp

• Flash
    Flash
    Many men who have had to stand under similar circumstances have often fainted, and I have had to go forward and aid them.

When I was in the service we were warned in Basic Training NOT to lock our knees while standing in formation as it contributed to fainting, restricted blood flow I think. Anyway not to long after this a man in my platoon fainted in formation and fell over like a tree! He also was in no way a wimp of a man...No, it wasn't me!

Hello and welcome UM!

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

society used to think women were not fit to do manual factory labour, steelworks etc. but when it came to ww2, it was quite ok to let women work in such places. amazing the leaps society will take in the effort to kill millions of people.

• metatron
    metatron

Well, if you're upset about that maybe you ain't acquainted with the Awake that sez

women have smaller brains. If I can dig it out, I'll get for ya.

metatron ( why does Dolly Parton have small feet?

'cause things don't grow in the shade - another drum rim shot, please)

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Hmm...

Well it's not like women are the only ones to have boobs. I see some guys walkin' around with the man-boob thing going on, and I suppose they wouldn't be fitted to carry a drum either.

LMAO!!! OOOHHHH *wipes tears*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit