Life Was So Simple Before 1973

by RevFrank 5 Replies latest jw friends

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

That was life before my ex-wife introduced me to her parents,(jehovah witnesses).

In the 60s we had hippies, hi school graduation, becoming an adult, and studying bibical theology. It was fun and interesting. Then in 1973 I met my ex-wife's parents. I only required my, "Thomson Chain Reference."

With her parents I studied greek, latin(I was catholic), hebrew, and aramaic. What's more I studied hermeneutics, which is the branch of theology that deals with the principals of exegesis, which in turn, needed to understand exegesis which is the study of explanations or critical interpreation of bible study.

I needed several bibles, mostly in other languages so I wound up studying different languages. Then I needed to do research on the Church Fathers and did that too.

But then I realized one thing I was missing.......Just reading my bible.

In the Truth Book, one of the watchtowers study books, chapter 3 the title was, "Why is it wise to Examine your religion."

So I turned to the watchtower to examine. Guess what? The Elders came out of the wood work. The committee told me it wasn't wise to do research for the watchtower was the final authority.

I asked them, " It's been told to me that God's Word alone,the Bible, was the Final Authority. Why the watchtower?"

They told me the watchtower is God's authority on earth. I told them, "Bull ...."

So with the knowledge I've developed over the years I've become an apologetic and to teach on the watchtower. I realized over time studying with the JWs, it's not a bible study, but a political study on the watchtower and emphasising how important it is to follow the watchtower.

So PEACE

• JAVA
    JAVA

You're correct, RevFrank, not only was life a lot easier before '73, there was a lot to look forward to:

* The Big A was coming in '75, which means . . .
    * No reason to plan for retirement
    * No reason to have kids
    * No reason to finish high school
    * No reason to even think about college
    * No reason work on a loveless marriage
    * No reason to look for a better job
    * No reason to help make the world a better place to live

Don't worry, be happy, and "stay alive until '75!" Yep, life was simple before 1973. :)

• Honesty
    Honesty

I realized over time studying with the JWs, it's not a bible study, but a political study on the watchtower and emphasising how important it is to follow the watchtower.
    You are so on top of it, Rev Frank. They emphasise the WTBTS 99.5% , God's Word .25% and Jesus .25% of the time. No wonder they are hemorrhaging.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Rev. Frank, as a former Boston hippie - hanging in the Commons beneath the State House, sleeping in Harvard Yard and sundry Cambridge "places" I remember my first meeting in 1970, the Circuit Assembly, the nights at the Boston Tea Party watching Traffic, or Alvin Lee on colors and all of a sudden I went from a study of Hebrew, Latin, and Buddhism into the mind of Fred Franz, and then all the books came, and then the study of Greek to enforce Fred's brain to the trained in the "territories" and I forget about the Creator, the nature, and the love of God's Son. Yes, JAVA, there was no more reason, until we left and found the WTS to be who they are - the PIGS we once screamed about and at.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Rev

I have just made a copy of your post, to add to my collection, which might one day give to my friend, to help reveal some truth. Thanks .

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

Thanks Jaffaceake for your comment.......And with Christ all things are possible....And Lawrenance......a Boston Hippy?Cool. San Francisco says, "Hi." I thank---{Society made me do it...lol} those Witnesses for forcing me to look beyond. Now it's my turn, through Christ, for educating them. With Christ, it's being done.

Honesty.....You're being too conservative, hemorrhaging.

Have fun Java.......keep up the good work...........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit