Indianapolis 500

by purplesofa 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Any race fans out there????

I watch this every year and was able to go once as a kid to the 500.

My grandfather raced cars(midgets) and once had a speed shop across from the 500 track and sold car engines and car parts. He was a mechanic at the 24 hour at LeMans. He was my papa and I still miss him terribly.

So we grew up around racing and I love it!!

I will be eager to see if Danica Patrick can win.....I sure think she has much a chance as anyone else racing.

I will never forget the tingles all over my body when the race starts

"Gentlemen, START YOUR ENGINES!!"

purps

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hey Purps. Car nut here.Speed freak here. I think I was a car in another life. The thrill of going nearly 200 mph, bumper to bumper, it's a thrill a second. I love working on cars, driving, anything that has to do with cars. Enjoy the race.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I'll be watching. I supose I could drive down there ... a kinda-friend has tickets every year ... but it's more comfortable watching from my sofa with a beer in my hand and the kitchen within walking distance.

• kls
    kls

Yes ,we will all be watching it in the garage while we pull a motor and be rooting for Danica to win

• talesin
    talesin

My cousin goes every year ... he also hits the Daytona,,,, sumbitch! grrr I hate him, hahaha, no I love him. :)

Dayummm! I just love the stock car races,,, we don't have them here anymore, not enough bux in it cause of the have-not status of my region ....

*sigh*

Hey, kls, don't work too hard today .... hehehe

tal

• Eric
    Eric

In 1995 Tony George used his control of the Indianapolis 500 to force a split in US open-wheel racing.

Ten years on, and neither the IRL or Champ Car faction has prospered. The Champ Cars draw fans well at their established tracks, but can't acheive big-time TV contract status without the 500, Tony's IRL draws puny crowds anywhere other than the benchmark Indy 500, and has not become the feeder of American talent on Ovals only that he thought it would.

Both series have had their lunch eaten by NASCAR, a series I don't understand the appeal of as the rules have kept the technology of the cars rooted in the 1950's ie: carberators, overhead valves, 4-speed gearboxes, live rear axles...etc. A modern pick-up truck is more technologically advanced than a NASCAR racer, but they are bringing the fans in by the hundreds of thousands for every race, go figure!

The 500 will go on today, and I will watch it, I've followed the 500 since I was 10 years old, listening on an AM radio, and reading the racing newspapers.

But it is not what it could have been, if track owner Tony George hadn't got ideas in his head that were too big for him.

Eric

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    But it is not what it could have been, if track owner Tony George hadn't got ideas in his head that were too big for him.

I hear ya..............was a good race..............Danica should have won.

at the very least there was no rain....

purps

• prophecor
    prophecor

It was exciting to see Danica give it her all. I wish that she could have won. It would've been great but I guess the stars were with merry old England. The first British driver to win the Indy 500, if I'm not mistaken. I was however pushing for Danica at the very end. I was slightly miffed when all the comotion was caused when her car did slip out from under her, damaging her front wing. It was a thrill to see her run for her life, almost, as it were. She would've truly made racing history.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

she is a gutsy kid.........and she has brought some glitz and spark to the indy car racing........

I remember when you knwe the drivers ..the same ones raced year after year..........you had a favorite...........Its really changed.

Anything she decides to do she will be sucessful at..........and how great to be a part of the Rahal/Letterman racing team.

was great to see the crowd on thier feet cheering her on!!! very exciting

purps Women ROCK!!!!

• Sith
    Sith

Yes, Purps. Women rock. But can they fix sinks?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit