How could Jehovah alter his musical taste so much?

by jaffacake 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

..can't stand the Osmonds either.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

One time I was at a party hosted by a family of JW old-timers, and in their garage they had some Afake! magazines that were from the 1960's I believe, and I started flipping through some of them. There was one article that warned about the dangers of Cacaphonic Jazz music. lol

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

My point is that if music is acceptable/unacceptable to Christians (or JWs) then the ground rules should/cannot change with time. I can fully accept why JWs would find some of the expletives in rap and other music unnaceptable. Profanities, if wrong, have always and will always be unacceptable.

But I cant stomach the hypocrisy of the definition of acceptability evolving, but always about 30 years behind what is currently fashionable. How can it be okay to listen to Beatles stuff now if it was frowned upon in the 1960s. Please dont give me that nonsense about the drugs and lifestyle, we are talking about listening to their music. Its the same music. I have no problem Q with consistency whether you call it clean living or anything else. This is just like the watered down blood issue. New light on music every decade?

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Jeff... I think you comment about 30 years of time passing and then it becomes acceptable is generational...the generation that listened to the Beatles now is in control of the KingDumb halls...it was their music so therefore ok...but it's those darn kids loud noise they call music is all wrong. When my generation finally is old and cranky we'll say how much Duran Duran, INXS, Go West, and Blondie really were the epitome of love and true music. That they androgony of the 80's was really about acceptance...blah, blah, so on and so on.

So if it's MY generations music it is ok....but if it is another generation's music...then it's demonistic, violent, evil.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

My first application to regular pioneer was turned down, in large part due to my heinous habits of listening to Beatles music and reading comic books. If you go back in the publications, you will find warnings about the evils of jazz in the 50's, rock and roll in the 60's, disco in the 70's, heavy metal in the 80's and 90's, etc. Whatever music is popular with young people at any given time is automatically considered unchristian and is condemned.

I remember a sister in my congregation who, in the 1990's, was reading some old magazines from the 60's and discovered an article about how the Twist was not a proper dance for Christians. She proceeded to go around the congregation telling everyone they should avoid this dance, because, after all, Jehovah's standards do not change. The Electric Slide was a-ok, though...

• Eric
    Eric

Jaffacake,

On the upside for JW's, it ensures they are perrenially on the cusp of the retro scene.

It would be kinda cool to be knocking out your friends with Motown sound now that it's defunct!

Eric

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit