To God We Are Dedicated...

by FMZ 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

GBL: Why did you do that to me? It hurts so bad to see those words and realize that I believed that Bull for all those years (walks off mumbling to self and shaking head ... teary eyed)

Seriously though ... I really find that s#%t amazingly disturbing.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

*psst* I made those lyrics up. Sorry!

GBL (of the"and us to ourselves we have behest" class)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The borg certainly understands the power of music. .. I could/can always remember song 35 "Loves Excelling Way" rather than I Cor 13 , on which it is based.

I can remember well, the emotion of standing at the top of a full grandstand at Twickenham [London} singing "We Thank you Jehovah" at the end of an assembly. Back then I thought iwas something really special.. Now I know better. Sadly I think that power of "Group psychology" and a crowd mentality had more to do with it, than the "Holy Spirit"

• FMZ
    FMZ

GBL, I thought something was off with them. Didn't stop me singing it though :P

Blues, I agree completely. That crowd mentality (even when peaceful) can still be extremely powerful.

FMZ

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

The Pentecostals are much worse than the witnesses as far as using music to invoke emotion. They play music practically through their entire services. I gotta say though that the 'Old Rugged Cross' cut is pretty catchy.

GBL

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

GBL - plbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbtttttttttttttttttt

Now how am I to watch Star Wars III tonight without thinking about the dumbasses?? LOL

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Brings back memories of the Hank Marvin version, which was way cool.
    We had it at a couple of circuit assemblies, during the baptism, before they pulled the plug on it.

• xjwms
    xjwms

Funny you should bring up a song.

For some reason today, the song came into my head, ....."Then they will know,... you only are........"

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:Rebel, did you never get that amazing tingle down your spine when you heard all those people singing together? The beliefs may have been bunk, but the energy in there sometimes got to quite amazing levels.

I totally got that tingle when I was younger FMZ. Then for some reason it just stopped. I tried paying better attention and then I DEFINITELY couldn't get it. I complained about not being able to get it to a J-Dub buddy once after a district convention. He said he couldn't get it anymore either. Thats exclusivist cults for ya.

GBL

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

They always played that during the baptisms at the circuit assemblies and usually the song "christian dedication" at the district convention. I was baptised at one of the district conventions; but there were some songs I liked when I was in the org.

One song I liked was God's Own Book, A Treasure, probably cuz it was so easy to play on the piano. I miss my piano. I still have it but it is at one of my parent's and I haven't gotten around to getting it. I miss pecking on it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit