Aspbergers Syndrome

by MelbaToast 2 Replies latest watchtower medical

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

My nephew, age 2 1/2, has been diagnosed with this developmental problem and I was just reading the thread about the man who can caount 100 decimal places in his head.

He currently sees a team of developmental psychologists, referred by his pediatrician, and has been doing quite well in his communication problems. He is learning sign language and has been signing more than talking for the past 3 months.....doing quite well.

I think my sister is a little spooked because of the comparisons between her two sons and their cognitive development differences (The older son was a blabber mouth at 18 months and at age 16, still wont be quiet...whereas the 2 yr old hardly ever talks, but recognizes and organizes all shapes, letters, numbers, etc.....he is very smart.

As I dont know much about the whole syndrome, and I know there are ppl on this board that have experience with this delay, I would be thrilled with any information I could offer my sister to calm her down about this.

Thanks in advance, MelbaToast

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

That is so normal a 2 year old who doesn't talk much.

I know a few kids who were quiet like that. I think they don't have anything to say at this moment and when they do WATCH OUT! Trust me I know a kid who never talked. He was quiet, kept to himself, never played with anyone not even his own brothers or sisters. He said a few things here and there but nothing more than 2 words. All of a sudden he would not shut up.

I think it is normal. I had 3 brothers who never said much until they were about 4. All smart and out going now.

Brooke

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

We obtained custody of our grandson when he was 5 1/2 months old. He was very difficult to manage even at that age and VERY strong. Almost scarey how strong he was/is.

He spoke one word at 18 months (cookie) and never said anything else until he was well over 4 years old. We learned ASL and taught him the basics too with the help of a woman from ARC.

ARISE is an excellent agency that has helped us out immensely. We had seven of these agencies that were all just a bit different in approach, helping us.

Apserger's Syndrome has so many layers and facets, and not one is the same as another. It's a tricky "condition" at best. I used to attend any workshop or seminar I could and was a child advocate for Special Ed kids, and was going for specialization in Autism/Asperger's.

It may take me a while, but I still think that I have lots of info on this. If you'd like to PM me with your email address, I'd be happy to send some things along to you.

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit