2005 District Convention Reports Begin

by blondie 7 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

The public is welcome to attend and the convention sessions are free.

Long Beach, California, May 27-29

http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~21474~2881862,00.html

A worldwide organization, Jehovah's Witnesses link their beliefs to the faith of first century Christianity.

• RescueMe2
    RescueMe2
    Themes for the weekend include "Follow the Model in Your Obedience to God' and "What Does the Bible Really Teach?"

Don't they really mean, "Follow the Model in Your Obedience to the WTBS" & " What do we say the Bible really teaches?"

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    A worldwide organization, Jehovah's Witnesses link their beliefs to the faith of first century Christianity.

• What a load of cobblers! (for the British posters)
    • What a load of BS! (for the Merry Cans)
    • What a load of crap! (for the downunder mob)

There, I've tried to use a worldwide language to refute every last syllable of that Borgese claptrap!

The truth is that some journalistic hack, too lazy to write anything original, has simply copied a Press Release from Watch Tower Media.

I used to think it was true - until I took the trouble to check, and it wasn't too long, and with help from Ray Franz's books, to see how far removed the Dubs are from 1st century christianity.

So often the WT misinterprets NT events to place them in the context of the WTS which, of course, is quite erroneous.

For example, they fill their publications with references to a central GB a la Brooklyn style. It didn't exist; reading the Acts and Galatians convinced me of that. Yet the R&F, like I did, blindly follow such nonsense, yet at the same time criticising mainstream churches for the way they're organised. In truth, they;re both not modelled on 1st century christianity and I'm not sure we'd want it to be. Christians were organised for their times even as they are today.

As a footnote, I've been with a fellowship that have tried to operate in the way the first century christians did. We put it in the 'too hard' basket. We couldn't get it to work, and I'm no longer sad about it.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Robert Avila... the "brother" quoted in the article is an ASS. I know him and his family well. He is the "big shot" on the Liason Committee.

He lives for the "company". And can turn the most negative info into a press/photo opp. to support the bOrg.

And his wife wears the pants....

u/d (of the can't stand the Avila family class)

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Morning sessions begin at 9:30 a.m. each day, and afternoon sessions start at 2 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 1:40 p.m. May 29. Themes for the weekend include "Follow the Model in Your Obedience to God' and "What Does the Bible Really Teach?"

The public is welcome to attend and the convention sessions are free. For information, call (949) 831-2003.

Wow , haven't times changed. I remember when assemblies started at 8:30 am and went to 12 noon had lunch , sessions begin at 1:30 pm until 5pm then supper and evening sessions start at 6:45 until 9:-9:30 pm. Go to motel be in bed by midnight only to be up at the crack of dawn for the next day and some of these conventions were eight days long and if you were lucky we had five day assemblies for years and years. Gee whiz has the GB been getting older or lazier which? Or will JW no longer feel its reasonable to have assemblies like previous times.

Orangefatcat >>> oh freedom at last......flying and soaring.......and to be free..

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

All this means to me is that some Jehovah's Witnesses who are alive at the start of the DC season will have died from natural causes and accidents by the time it ends.

Just like regular folk,the world continues to turn...

Also since i maintain a vigil response to dub news alerts i have to sort through the clutter of their PR puff pieces.

• keeshah
    keeshah

The article said a "series" of conventions in the Long Beach Arena. So, how many DCs are they having there? 16 years ago, they had the DC at Dodger Stadium. I checked the seating. Dodger Stadium holds 56,000. Long Beach Arena holds 13,500,

Just trying to figure out if the number of publishers is really going down or not.

• keeshah
    keeshah
    Witnesses have been holding their convention in Long Beach since 1995, said spokesman Robert Avila. It's been a boon to the local economy, with hotels and restaurants downtown gleaning the benefits.

Do they REALLY think that a bunch of janitors coming in for 3 days is going to boost that area's economy?! They aren't even allowed to eat lunch at the restaurants. Yeah, JW alone are responsible for boosting their economy . Do they think they are the only group that rents the Long Beach Arena?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit