The Goddess Within

by JW83 22 Replies latest jw friends

• JW83
    JW83

I came across this quote today & thought it was good enough to share:

ยง In the past four thousand years the profound mystery of life-giving, the potential of the female to re-create herself in her own image, has been denigrated to such a degree that now, at the apex of Western civilization, control over all aspects of the birthing process is mostly in the hands of a group of elite males. We depend on government legislation to provide us with authorization over the functions of our own bodies; we count on representatives of male Gods to guide our spiritual lives, and we rely on the prototypical male medical establishment?s techniques for the supervision & resolution of pregnancy & birth ? to say nothing of women being sexual trophies at home & abroad, in peace and in war. Has the sacred become profane? (Savina Teubal)

• talesin
    talesin

Thank you for sharing that quote. Hmm, think I read it in Adbusers recently.

Here's one you might enjoy. It's one of my favorites, I first read it in Philosophy 101.

Sojourner Truth (1797-1883): Ain't I A Woman?
    Delivered 1851
    Women's Convention, Akron, Ohio

Well, children, where there is so much racket there must be something out of kilter. I think that 'twixt the negroes of the South and the women at the North, all talking about rights, the white men will be in a fix pretty soon. But what's all this here talking about?

That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?

Then they talk about this thing in the head; what's this they call it? [member of audience whispers, "intellect"] That's it, honey. What's that got to do with women's rights or negroes' rights? If my cup won't hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full?

Then that little man in black there, he says women can't have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.

If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back , and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them.

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner ain't got nothing more to say.

t

• JW83
    JW83

Hi Talesin, I liked the bit about one woman turning it all upside down! I'm doing an essay on women & monotheism at the moment, so I'm reading lots about goddess references in the bible - it's great!

I particularly liked this quote because I am very upset about unnecessary medical intervention in the birthing process at the moment & this quote just seemed to say it all!

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, doesn't it though? I agree with you about that, too. Did you know that still, doctors are taught in medical school that the male anatomy is the norm, and the female anatomy is a derivation? At least, that was the case only 10 years ago ... talk about your Genesis-account-based science. bleccch ...

tal

• JW83
    JW83

Yeah

My sister-in-law is booked in for an induction on Monday night because 'the baby's head might be too big'. It doesn't even make sense!! It's not a caesar, it's an induction!! How big is the baby's head going to grow in a few days?!! (She's due on Sunday) It is just absolutely ridiculous

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think that the human spiecies has certain features that makes each sex want to dominate the other. I'm sure thier were periods in human history where the females dominated. This fracturing of the speicies has produced abuses on both sides. I think it is good when we can be intouch with both of our femine and masculine side. If we can blend these we can get along much better. What do you think?

• talesin
    talesin

That sounds odd ,,, if the head is too large (which is a new one on me, but have only coached 2 births, so I'm no expert), and they feel she/baby will be at risk, then wouldn't a C-section be in order instead of induction ?

... is that your line of reasoning ?

t

• JW83
    JW83

Yes! Yes! Yes! See how illogical it is?!! We've tried explaining it to my sister-in-law but she just says, 'well, that's what the doctor says'. I don't get it!

• JW83
    JW83

I had an unnecessary induction, too, so I might be a little bit biased!

• talesin
    talesin

frankie,

Yes, the end result you are looking for needs to happen, and I think it will.

The truth is that many women in our culture have been lulled into a false sense of equality. They believe all the hype and brainwashing, and don't see the true inequities that exist in western countries. We still have work to do to get to a place of equality, where our voices will be heard.

How can we have consensus between the genders when the balance of power is still tipped so far on one side ? When women in the free-est of states, still do not have control over their own bodies, even if it is due to mis-information provided in the mainstream and therefore a lack of true consent, how can we be truly equal ?

any thoughts?

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit