WHO IS JOHN GALT? (A survey on Ayn Rand)

by Terry 58 Replies latest social entertainment

• Terry
    Terry
    Since its publication in 1957, Atlas Shrugged has sold more than five million copies. Perhaps a measure of the book's continuing influence may be estimated from the results of a survey conducted jointly by the Library of Congress and Book-of-the-Month Club in 1991. The survey asked readers which books had made a difference in people's lives. The results found Atlas Shrugged placing second only to the Bible. ( 1 Library of Congress Information Bulletin, December 16, 1991, pp. 478-479. )

To quote from Michael Shermer:

The story begins in 1943 when an obscure Russian immigrant published her first successful novel after two consecutive failures. It was not an instant success. In fact, the reviews were harsh and initial sales sluggish. But slowly a following grew around the novel, word of mouth became the most effective marketing tool, and the author began to develop what could, with hindsight, be called a "cult following." The initial print-run of 7,500 copies was followed by multiples of five and 10,000 until by 1950 half a million copies were circulating the country. The book was The Fountainhead and the author Ayn Rand. Her commercial success allowed her the time and freedom to write her magnum opus, Atlas Shrugged, published in 1957 after ten years in the making. It is a murder mystery, not about the murder of a human body, but of the murder of a human spirit. It is a broad and sweeping story of a man who said he would stop the ideological motor of the world. When he did, there was a panoramic collapse of civilization, with its flame kept burning by a small handful of heroic individuals whose reason and morals directed both the fall and the subsequent return of culture.

As they did to The Fountainhead, reviewers panned Atlas with a savage brutality that, incredibly, only seemed to reinforce followers' belief in the book, its author, and her ideas. And, like The Fountainhead, sales of Atlas sputtered and clawed their way forward as the following grew, to the point where the book presently sells over 300,000 copies a year. "In all my years of publishing," recalled Random House's owner, Bennett Cerf, "I've never seen anything like it. To break through against such enormous opposition!" (Branden, 1986, p. 298). Such is the power of an individual hero . . . and a cult-like following.

(end quote)

Controversy and rabid admiration follow in the wake of Ayn Rand. Many persons I've spoken to about Rand's philosophy are pretty vague about understanding it fully.

I personally prefer her philsophy writing to her fiction (with exceptions) and have read all of it.

Rand is COMPLETELY left out of any/all textbooks on the history of philosophy as though she never existed. The reason is fairly obvious. She roasted both ends of the philosophy spectrum with scathing criticisms of the worthlessness in academia.

But, her work and her influence remain untouched.

ANYBODY up for discussion about Ayn Rand, her work, her philosophy?

Any questions, opinions, views?

T.

• Terry
    Terry

Something to chew on:

• After reading Atlas a young woman in the Peace Corps wrote: "I had undergone the loneliest, most inspiring, and heartrending psycho-intellectual transformation, and all my plans upon returning to the United States had changed."
  • A 24-year old "traditional housewife" (her own label) read Atlas and said: "Dagny Taggart [the book's principle heroine] was an inspiration to me; she is a great feminist role model. Ayn Rand's works gave me the courage to be and to do what I had dreamed of."
  • A businessman began reading Atlas and said "Within a few hundred pages I sensed clearly that I had ventured upon a lifetime of meaning. The philosophy of Ayn Rand nurtured growth, stability and integrity in my life. Her ideas permeated every aspect of my business, family and creative life."
  • A law school graduate said of Objectivism: "Dealing with Ayn Rand was like taking a post-doctoral course in mental functioning. The universe she created in her work holds out hope, and appeals to the best in man. Her lucidity and brilliance was a light so strong I don't think anything will ever be able to put it out."
  • An economics professor recalled: "After you read Atlas Shrugged you don't look at the world with the same perspective."
  • A philosophy professor concluded: "Ayn Rand was one of the most original thinkers I have ever met. There is no escape from facing the issues she raised. . . . At a time in my life when I thought I had learned at least the essentials of most philosophical views, being confronted with her . . . suddenly changed the entire direction of my intellectual life, and placed every other thinker in a new perspective."
  • Another philosophy professor, this one disliking Rand and disagreeing with Objectivism, recalled after an all-night discussion with the philosopher-novelist: "She's found gaping holes in every philosophical position I've maintained for the whole of my life--positions I teach my students, positions on which I'm a recognized authority--and I can't answer her arguments! I don't know what to do!" (p. 247).
  • Chloe
    Chloe

OK, you made me do it. I had to bid on "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" on e-bay. I haven't read them since high school and don't remember them well. Something else to add to my stack of books to read.

• Sith
    Sith

I read "Atlas Shrugged" about 15 years ago. Rand's fiction was just a springboard to get her philosophy of objectivism noticed and center-stage to the general public. I've seen her in a number of interviews and debates, and she always sent her opponents packing. Her ideas about masculinity and femininity were groundbreaking, and still are to this day.

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." Ayn Rand

Check out www.aynrand.org for more info

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

I guess I have to say something here, since we have spoken in the past and you know I am a reformed-objectivist. My screen name itself is Rand-enese.

I will say this. If we work from the assumption that there is no God, then Ayn Rand came about as close as anybody to providing a universal and practical system of ethics. Randian ethics guided me and sustained me for years. Many of her thoughts and ideas still keep me out of trouble.

She did not answer one of the fundamental question of philosophy, and no human has. How does man, starting from himself find a universal meaning to his existence. She would probably argue that it isn't a valid premise. If I remember correctly she didn't buy into the need for universals. Regardless of what Ms. Rand thought about them, I struggled greatly with not having a sense of meaning. But I was never much of a philosopher.

Where objectivism broke down for me was in her concept of man as a rational being. That was the sum of her message. Be rational, and everything will be ok. The meaning of your life is whatever inspires you. The problem is that man is not capable of being consistently rational. Man is only capapable of being rational from time to time, and in certain circumstances. Experience has taught me that man is a reliabley irrational, self-destructive, malleable, murky and muddled being.

I guess the best test of objectivism is how it worked for it's creator. Was it a practical system for her? Was Ayn Rand a happy person? I paraphrase Ms. Rand as saying that if a person is unhappy it is because they are not living according to their values. From what I understand she spent many years as and died a very lonely, bitter, and unhappy person.

I don't know if I agree with Terry that her books on philosophy were necessarily better than her novels. I will say this, her philosophy was the most delightful thing about her novels. She was a third rate novelist. She was extremely repetitive in her themes almost to the point of monotony (I often found myself saying, "Ok Ayn, I get it already!"), her characters were one dimensional and unrealistic (nobody talks like that!), and she was even repetitive in her word choices (every time someone kissed in one of her books she wrote, "his mouth was on hers") Come on Ayn! Put it another way!

To make myself plain though, I must say that I cited my criticisms only as a practical matter. It would simply be to difficult and timely to list everything I love about Ayn Rand. Regarding any other aspect of Ayn Rand or her work you can safely assume that I am an adoring fan. I love her dearly and am eternally grateful for all I learned from her books.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I'm with Check on this...he wrote very elegantly about how I feel. I think Ayn's addition to the literary world is awesom. I loved Atlas Shrugged. I also liked her viewpoint as a counter balance to modern day religion and societal beliefs. However, many people have signed onto her beliefs as an end all be all and worshipped at the altar of "objectivevism". So while I find her philosophies to be interesting to debate I find her no more fulfilling than Rene Decartes or other earlier philosophers. And yes, from what I have read and researched Ayn did die lonely and unhappy. Could this be axe grinding by outsiders? I suppose, however many people are of that opinon. So if that's all "it's cracked up to be" why would she be so unhappy. I think we can learn many things from her and do want to dismiss any of her achievements. But to exalt her to the realm of icon status is a mistake. I will not drink from the Kool Aid of Ayn Rand's rabid supporters.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I read Atlas Shrugged last year. I liked it even though it was a bit long. The most tedious (and unreal part) was John Galt's manifesto speech which I speed-read through.

As far as the message of the book goes. I agree with John Galt. I am living proof of that on my job and have had a few confrontations over the years.

We DO live in a world today where a person with ability is taken advantage of by other people. Only in his fantasy novel it got so bad that the good people literally had to drop out of society.

LHG

• Sith
    Sith

That was Rand's point. Man is an end unto himself, if there is no higher authority.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Terry,

I hope you like my full critique of Ayn Rand. I know we never fully discussed the matter when we spoke before. I wasn't sure, but I felt like you were calling me out a little bit.

I thought of someone you might like even more than Ayn Rand.

From what I know about you, and the discussions we have had, I really think you would get a kick out of The True Believer by Eric Hoffer.

It is a very short and pithy book, but it's idea/word ratio is very high. You might like it too Sith. It is one of the books that helped shatter any idealistic notion I had of man being a "heroic" being.

CYP

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I guess the best test of objectivism is how it worked for it's creator. Was it a practical system for her? Was Ayn Rand a happy person? I paraphrase Ms. Rand as saying that if a person is unhappy it is because they are not living according to their values. From what I understand she spent many years as and died a very lonely, bitter, and unhappy person.

A salient point

A philosophy of heroic individualism sounds nice....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit