Can you solve this paradox?

by Rod P 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Mac
    Mac

I'm not much of a multitasker, I could probably solve one dox at a time but..............

a paradox........

forget it!

mac

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

iggy nailed it. Infinite sums can have finite limits.

• Mac
    Mac

Oh, go snort some aspartame, SmartyPantz!!!!

mac

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

LOL mac! I already did today. ;)

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Everytime a para-dox hangs aroung here we get a bunch of lil dox...........

some guy asked me how i felt about a para-dime shift.... I only had 4 nickles...was that enough?

~Hill (6 brain cells left... 2 of those are out fishin' most of the time class)

• Mac
    Mac

Hilly......

Ya mean that ain't pronounced paradajim???????????????

mac, having an eppa-fanny moment

• Rod P
    Rod P

Dr. Mike,

You are right, of course.

I deliberately avoided particle physics and all those arcane and esoteric discussions that would cause almost everyone one else on this forum to "virtually" disappear. I know that modern day scientists and mathmaticians have taken this whole paradox into an entirely new level that the Greeks would never have contemplated.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On a lighter note, What is a paradox?

Answer: A couple of Doctors.

Rod P.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Actually the paradox as far as I understand is purely linguistic in that it relies on the arrow being at a fixed point at a fixed time and it yet there is no such thing as a fixed time or a fixed point - they are approximations of reality. Just to explain further you can not fix a definite location because logically you could always split your fixed location into further points ergo you still haven't defined the location. What actually happens is a little easier to understand from a zen perspective - the arrow is not separate from its surroundings its movement is merely an interaction between all the elements - same wy it is impossible to define the part of a river you have stepped in since the water flows on, the point of measurement can never be measured the same again.

I'm off for a lie down.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Uh, so when the guy with the arrow sticking in his butt asks you to pull it out, do you tell him, see this won't hurt a bit because the arrow never really got to its desitination, i.e. your ass?

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    Actually the paradox as far as I understand is purely linguistic in that it relies on the arrow being at a fixed point at a fixed time and it yet there is no such thing as a fixed time or a fixed point - they are approximations of reality. Just to explain further you can not fix a definite location because logically you could always split your fixed location into further points ergo you still haven't defined the location. What actually happens is a little easier to understand from a zen perspective - the arrow is not separate from its surroundings its movement is merely an interaction between all the elements - same wy it is impossible to define the part of a river you have stepped in since the water flows on, the point of measurement can never be measured the same again.

which brings up heisenberg's uncertainty principle... there are physical reasons why one cannot know the exact location and the exact speed at the very same moment....the better you know one the less you know the other, etc.

and this is as above shows, because we are imposing our measurements upon something which is in motion... there is no time and there is no distance, these are things we invent by our imposition of a grid work upon what we are observing.... the grid work of time is to compare any motion to a clock [which is a cycling event which can be counted] the grid work of distance is any form of measure stick, which of course cannot be subdivided to infinity as there is no way to measure such a subdivision, there are practical, physical limits.

confusing math with geometry is what causes the paradox-- math is abstract and can be divided forever....geometry cannot be divided forever in the real world that we seem to be sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit