Crazy reasons why people became JW's...

by misspeaches 10 Replies latest jw friends

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Do any of you have any amusing stories as to why some people becames JW's?

Personally... When we were just little tikes my mum was organising a birthday party for my sister. She invited the neighbours boys around and they weren't allowed because they were a JW family. The neighbour explained to mum why they don't and VOILA.... the rest as they say is history. Growing up I thought what a great real life experience of someone gaining the 'troof' because of example blah, blah, blah... But now I think - what the? what mother would go for something like depriving her kids of birthdays? that's just plain crazy... LOL

Miss Peaches

• vitty
    vitty

Because we were going to live in a paradise FOREVER. I always loved fairy stories

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I knew a guy who became a JW because he really wanted to get on the platform and give talks. He was something of a show off and an Elvis fanatic and thought he was a born entertainer. Unfortunately he wasn't the sharpest knife in the box. When he did eventually give talks they were crap cos he had the reading ability of a slow 6 year old but the best thing about them was he ended them by saying 'thank you very much' in his best Elvis impersonation.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Perhaps this is not a crazy reason, but this guy I knew at the cong having observed his behaviour over a time I am absolutely sure that deep down he didn't really become a JW because he really cared about their truth but because he had high ambitions to get a top position in the society and eventually he did get a senior position in a Bethel abroad.

• lawrence
    lawrence

There was a guy, rock singer circa 1972, and he cut his hair, began preaching, and got baptized all within a few months (excelerated truth book studies - a few a week). He told me once that he "joined" to piss off his band, parents, friends, and girlfriend. He lasted a little over a year and joined his old band and eventually married his former girlfriend.

• pratt1
    pratt1

Many people I know including my Mom, became a Dub because of life altering changes in their lives, they felt the need to join some type of organized religion.

My mom after giving birth decided that she wanted to raise her child in a God fearing household. she was also lonely because she was newly married with a small child, no close friends and Dad worked all the time.

Others I know had just lost a loved one in death and the hope of "resurrection" was comforting for them.

A few were newly divorced and were lonely. The thought of meeting a God fearing spouse was the basic attraction to the Borg.

It's sad that because of an emotional need, these people were tricked into joining an organization that deceptively promises a world free of all the bad things in the world. There are different.

By the time they realize that it is all a lie, its too late.

Your entire support system in tried up in the Borg and any resistance is met with dire consequences to your status as a dub.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Being raised a witness I never knew why my parents were drawn in. Neither did I understand my father going back after nearly 20 years. Over the years the question/answer never came with anyone I knew.

• fairchild
    fairchild

I know this atheist who was in her early twenties. She fell in love with a JW in his mid sixties. She became a JW because he wouldn't date her unless she was a JW. They are now married with children. His wife is younger than his daughter from a former marriage and his children are younger than some of his grandchildren.

• talesin
    talesin
    Being raised a witness I never knew why my parents were drawn in. Neither did I understand my father going back after nearly 20 years. Over the years the question/answer never came with anyone I knew.

Quentin, me too.

My dad was inactive for sooooo long, wassup w/ that? He had it made ... *shakes head*

t

• Quentin
    Quentin

*shakes head*........Yeah, I know...me too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit