Suggestions on where to research Bible's origin

by hartstrings 12 Replies latest jw friends

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

I'm looking for trusted sources of info on the Bible's origin using established scientific research.

Thanks,

Hartstrings

• carla
    carla

Theological sites? more than one and maybe one that includes archeological findings as well? Let us know what you start with, carla

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey, these are a couple of great books that fit the description you are looking for:

Who Wrote the Bible? - Richard E. Freidman

Who Wrote the Bible?

The Bible Unearthed

my faith in the bible was totally rocked after reading the secular books. now, it's not so much about doctrinal issues with the org as my main reasons for leaving (although they are messed even by xian standards), but the bible itself seems like a total farce in light of moder secular thinking and research. a couple of good sites are:

bibleorigins.net

biblicalnonsense.com

bidstrup.com/bible.htm

best wishes,

tetrapod.sapien

• carla
    carla

Don't forget to check with some Jewish sources, two different at least. Liberal and conservative. Any Synogogues by you? I think they are very helpful from what I have heard. carla

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

Thanks TS.

Carla, I'm hoping that the sites listed above won't have a slant (Christian or Jewish) and will rather approach it from the angle of science. But any Jewish sites you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hartstrings,

in the world of biblical history and theology, the scientific aspect of the research is more often termed "secular" or "archaeological". most secular historians don't refer to what they do as "science" per se, although the secular archaeologists and anthropologists often do.

• carla
    carla

Sorry I can't tell you about Jewish sites. Everybody has a slant/ bias. Even atheists and agnostics. That's why I would say read everybody. carla

• El blanko
    El blanko

Trouble is, all the reading in the world may not necessarily prove or disprove anything to you.

A person without faith will never accept the central teachings of the Bible regardless of personal research into the historicity of the books.

Faith is necessary to take onboard the Christian message, not hard science, and sadly in my experience you may meander down a pathway to nowhere on your quest.

But, if you do find any decent books worth a look - let me know

I own "Who wrote the Bible" and that's a good place to start maybe.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I guess I would have to ask what you think the bible is?

If you want to find information to debunk it and point out the inconsistencies, there's plenty of that kind of evidence in a wide variety of books and in this site. If you want to understand merely how it was likely constructed, then the above mentioned books are as good a place to start that field of research as any. I have those books and found them fascinating.

If you want to research why a bunch of ancient people should leave diaries of their spiritual lives, then you need to start with your own heart.

Know thyself...

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

Thanks everyone for sharing your perspective. I'm honestly trying really hard to shut any doors in my mind. I don't want to disprove the bible nor am I looking to vindicate it. The thing is, I was raised on talk #2, All Scriptures are Inspired book. Since leaving JW's, I'm trying to rebuild the spiritual side of myself. I will start by deciding on whether the Bible is a book of fiction or not. This will part of my foundation.

Faith...well, I have to be honest with you, faith and I are not the best of friends right now. Blind faith led me to waste away 30 yrs of my life in the org. I am willing to accept that I may have faith again, but it will have to be based on a solid foundation that I have built. I am also okay with the idea of becoming an athiest if that is where my search takes me. I just need to make this search myself and draw my own conclusions, I guess that is why science appeals to me so much right now.

Thanks again guys!

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit