On a POSITIVE note ...

by ljwtiamb 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

I have felt that this site is therapeutic for me, in that I can give voice to feelings that I have heretofore had to keep inside.

I also enjoy reading other's stories and learning that I am not alone.

Although, many of us feel that we have wasted our lives on WT, there may also be a very positive side. Let me explain:

When I left JW HQ after many years of service, my family would laugh at me because I was so excited about some of the things that they took for granted. Simple things, like fixing up my first apartment, shopping in the endless variety of a supermarket, my first real paycheck. I had been 'locked up' for so long that I completely enjoyed what was for me 'new' experiences, which had become so mundane for everyone else.

I guess my point is that even though we may have missed out on a lot, we are now at a better age & position to really appreciate the simple things of life. A friend of mine mentioned that he was so glad that he got his degree after working. It all made so much sense to him now. Like the saying goes: 'Youth is wasted on the young.'

Just thought I'd share that thought. We are now all on the road to even bigger and better things!

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I feel the same way. Freedom is sweeter to me since I've never had it before. Little things make me happy.

GBL

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Thank you for that perspective. I agree.

I believe I appreciate people more than I ever would have known to, if I had never been a JW. I have that experience to contrast against and so many examples to remind myself to avoid.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I agree too. I really enjoy the simple things, celebrating Christmas gets me more excited than my kids--I decorate my whole house, cook all kinds of things, drive around to look at lights. I went through 2 bad marriages that were not JW, so now I really enjoy the fact that my new husband is not a secret drug user or drinker--I am really happy being married for once. So I don't take anything for granted. I'm also thankful that my kids are growing up and are pretty good kids, and are not exposed to the BS society.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Good thread!

Yes, it is great to be able to make ones own decisions! When you do, you get the opportunity to actually use your time for various things which are really rewarding (things you would not have done as a JW). Then when you decide to use your time to help others, you are doing it because you genuinely want to and are not being forced to by some religion.

There is a wealth of knowledge out there! It was great to just read whatever I wanted instead of reading JW material which taught me NOTHING.

Sirona

• DHL
    DHL

There definitely is a positive outcome for me: My experiences have surely made me a stronger person than I would be otherwise because every experience gave me annother chance to learn from and so to explore. No, I'm not a masochist but I learned to appreciate even the bad experiences because I have learned the most from those. So after all I can say: I've lost a lot but I gained more.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I think for me, i suddenly felt a huge weight off my shoulders. Tho in the 'truth' i didnt understand where the pressure was coming from. On one hand the elders said 'do what you can' but at the same time made you feel your best was never good enough. I feel lighter than air now!!!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Have you thought of writing a book? You are one of the few JWs that lived in a physical commune as well as a mental commune, and escaped both. Valuable perspective.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

At least we can all see that silver lining. I agree that it's this freedom that we have because we know we aren't getting judged by mens' standards. The small things in life are great. Celebrating a birthday with my little brother is wonderful. Seeing the joy on my non witness family faces as we sit down to Christmas and just them knowing that I'm no longer in their iron grip.

Growing up as a witness was also a protection on my part because with my personality who know what sort of mischief I would have got up too ( I mean I did get up to some but if I didn't have boundries)

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

At least we can all see that silver lining. I agree that it's this freedom that we have because we know we aren't getting judged by mens' standards. The small things in life are great. Celebrating a birthday with my little brother is wonderful. Seeing the joy on my non witness family faces as we sit down to Christmas and just them knowing that I'm no longer in their iron grip.

Growing up as a witness was also a protection on my part because with my personality who know what sort of mischief I would have got up too ( I mean I did get up to some but if I didn't have boundries)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit