Preach the Good News ... how?

by OldSoul 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

This thread is for Jehovah's Witness lurkers and posters here.

Acts 13 shows Paul and his traveling companions entering a synagogue, speaking before false worshippers in a group setting. Other examples of this particular kind of preaching to unbelievers are:

Acts 2:43-47
    Acts 5:17-21
    Acts 5:41, 42 (also House to House)
    Acts 9:17-22
    Acts 14:1-7
    Acts 17:1-4
    Acts 17:10-17
    Acts 18:1-4
    Acts 18:18-22
    Acts 19:1-10

House to house:

Acts 5:41, 42 (also in the temple)
    Acts 20:17-24

Instructions to avoid going from house to house:

Luke 10:1-7

Now, without employing any kind of intellectual perfidy, which kind of preaching was Paul known for more commonly in the Scriptures? Public preaching to unbelievers in large scale environments his listeners were comfortable in, or house to house, or from the platforms in the local congregations?

Was the primary form of ministry Paul engaged in public, before large audiences of unbelievers, or privately in the homes of people sought out while going from door to door? Was house to house the primary means of teaching? This money wasting, time consuming practice is not encouraged as a primary means of fulfilling Matthew 28:19, 20 in the Bible. Why is it the primary means encouraged by the Faithful and Discreet Slave (pen name for the Governing Body)?

Can any one of you answer clearly, without sophistry?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'll take a crack at it, since I don't like sweets for breakfast anyway; is it because Pastor Russell was a publishing man and a writer, and he hit on a way to pump up his distribution and readership? It was all good. And while it's costly and inefficient (though it made some money back then), it's only costly and inefficient to the volunteer book peddlers, not to Brooklyn.

It's stayed around out of tradition, simpletonism, and the automatic sense of purpose it imparts to people. It's not fun, but it's doable; all you have to do is get your time in, and just by doing that, you've taken part in the most important work on earth. Two and a half hours per weekend, and you're better than 99.9% of humanity; three hours per weekend, and you're even better than the average person who's better than everyone else.

I was a one or two hour per month publisher, and that was Hurculean on my part, lol. Laugh if you will, but if I got that done, at least I'd taken part in the most important work on earth, and I was still better than 99.9% of humanity, or at least I had a shot at life anyway.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    House to house:

Acts 5:41, 42 (also in the temple)
    Acts 20:17-24

And of those two, only one can really contextually be used to support a work of house-to-house preaching to non-believers. Acts 20 in context is pretty clearly talking about the teaching of believers in private homes, not preaching to outsiders. That's why some translations use expressions such as "in your homes" in verse 20 rather than "from house to house" (though the latter is technically accurate).

Even Acts 5:42 would allow for teaching as well as preaching (both are mentioned). There is no reason to understand the verse as describing a work of calling unannounced at one home after another to preach to non-believers The text could just as easily mean that the apostles visited homes of persons who either were believers or who had shown significant interest in the message. Again, translations differ, but many use expressions such as "in people's homes" and "privately" rather than "from house to house". Even though the Greek can correctly be translated as "from house to house," the other translations are equally possible, and seem more likely, since no work such as is done by JWs is evident anywhere in the New Testament.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    NeonMadman: And of those two, only one can really contextually be used to support a work of house-to-house preaching to non-believers. Acts 20 in context is pretty clearly talking about the teaching of believers in private homes, not preaching to outsiders. That's why some translations use expressions such as "in your homes" in verse 20 rather than "from house to house" (though the latter is technically accurate).

Even Acts 5:42 would allow for teaching as well as preaching (both are mentioned).

Agreed. However, there are two places that can be construed, within paragraph context, to mean house to house preaching. So I cited both. The fact that both can also be construed as returning to homes of those who expressed interest in response to public preaching, for the purpose of teaching, is clear to anyone not blinded by the dogma of Jehovah's Witnesses.

So, my question is, how did the disciples to whom Jesus said "Go therefore ..." interpret his words? As instructions to go from house to house? What does the weight of the Scriptural evidence show? I am hoping lurkers and posters who are currently JWs will respond.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Note that the Greek phrases which the NWT translates "from house to house" actually refer to private meetings "in (various) houses (of believers)," not external evangelism -- as the context makes pretty clear. It is the place for the Eucharist (2:46, kat'oikon, just as in 5:42), the place where Saul looks for believers (8:3, kata tous oikous, cf. 20:20 kat'oikous).

Edit: Sorry for repeating what NeonMadman has just said.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Thanks, Narkissos. Your scholarly input is always a welcome addition.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I must be honest that at times I even lied on my field service report to avoid the shepherding calls from elders. Oh how sad is that. Today I believe the witness work is done in different ways, whether it be by actual words or by ones actions - the smallest thing.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

LouBelle,

You are far from alone. You are only unusual in that you admit it candidly.

You mentioned, "Today I believe the witness work is done in different ways, whether it be by actual words or by ones actions - the smallest thing." I understand you to mean this outside of Jehovah's Witnesses. Is that right? If so, I agree. By that criteria, the witness given by most Witnesses I know is not a good one. What they preach does not match who and what they are.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Plus, Acts 2:42 says:

day after day they were in constant attendance at the temple with one accord

If they were in the temple day after day, where did they find the time to go door-to-door?

-ithinkisee

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    Note that the Greek phrases which the NWT translates "from house to house" actually refer to private meetings "in (various) houses (of believers)," not external evangelism -- as the context makes pretty clear. It is the place for the Eucharist (2:46, kat'oikon, just as in 5:42), the place where Saul looks for believers (8:3, kata tous oikous, cf. 20:20 kat'oikous).

Cool.

So what is the exact word used in Acts 20:20 for "house to house"? Is it a variation of one of the words you list above, or is it one of these actual Greek words?

Thanks,

-ithinkisee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit