compilation of biblical inconsistinceys

by candidlynuts 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

link http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/inconsistencies.shtml

example of some that are listed...

MT 5:16 Good works should be seen.
    MT 6:1-4 They should be kept secret.

MT 5:17-19, LK 16:17 Jesus underscores the permanence of the law.
    LE 10:8 - 11:47, DT 14:3-21 The law distinguishes between clean and unclean foods.
    MK 7:14-15, MK 7:18-19 Jesus says that there is no such distinction.
    1TI 4:1-4 All foods are clean according to Paul.

MT 5:17-19, LK 16:17 Jesus did not come to abolish the law.
    EP 2:13-15, HE 7:18-19 Jesus did abolish the law.

MT 5:39, MT 5:44 Do not resist evil. Love your enemies.
    2JN 1:9-11 Shun anyone who does not hold the proper doctrine.
    MT 5:43-44, MT 22:39 Love your enemies. Love your neighbor as yourself.
    MT 10:5 Go nowhere among the Gentiles nor enter a Samaritan town.

MT 5:45, 7:21 God resides in heaven.
    MK 13:32 The angels reside in heaven
    AC 7:55, HE 12:2 Jesus is at the right hand of God, in heaven.
    1PE 1:3-4 Believers will inherit eternal life in heaven.
    MT 24:35, MK 13:31, LK 21:33 Heaven will pass away.

MT 6:13 God might lead us into temptation and it is better avoided.
    JA 1:2-3 Temptation is joy.

MT 6:13 Jesus' prayer implies that God might lead us into temptation.
    JA 1:13 God tempts no one.

MT 6:25-34, LK 12:22-31 Take no thought for tomorrow. God will take care of you.
    1TI 5:8 A man who does not provide for his family is worse than an infidel.

RE 8:7 All of the grass on earth is burned up, and then ...
    REV 9:4 An army of locusts, which is about to be turned loose on the earth, is instructed not to harm the grass.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    MT 6:1-4 They should be kept secret.

Thanks for that Candidlynuts. That was the Scripture I was trying to find when reading a thread about 'charities' - the Society being a massive contributor to Worldwide charities, but no one ever hears of it as it's unscriptual.

I have heard it many times (from JW), and the Scripture quoted is always Matthew 6v3 :-

. 3

But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing
  • iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

It's been said on this board before, but if you're a work of religious literature, you don't get nowhere unless you're all things to all people. Also, being very long seems to help.

ig.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

What a great list!! And I know there must be a million more!

The dubs would probably explain it away by saying that it's just "men." But if its in the WT it the freakin' word of God.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

MT 5:16 Good works should be seen. - it's a verse about light, such light that people may see things as works - ie. not recognised as such without that light
    MT 6:1-4 They should be kept secret. - that is a verse about practicing piety - it's a different focus altogether

MT 5:17-19, LK 16:17 Jesus underscores the permanence of the law.
    LE 10:8 - 11:47, DT 14:3-21 The law distinguishes between clean and unclean foods.
    MK 7:14-15, MK 7:18-19 Jesus says that there is no such distinction.
    1TI 4:1-4 All foods are clean according to Paul.

The law is spiritual (to 'eat' spiritually is different) - literal foods are always clean to the one who is a Jew inwardly - applying the law literally to the flesh is a "burden" - as was necessary to get along and not cause a major stir with the fundamentalists of the day (eg. eating blood)

EP 2:13-15, HE 7:18-19 Jesus did abolish the law.

Christ abolished the law as was being practised - ie literally - living according to the flesh

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The inconsistencies are in his own reading

take heed then about how you hear, for to him who has more will be given - I would think that's the bad news

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Context, {edit} candidly Web site author. Context. He came to fulfill the law. There is a difference.

The law was described repeatedly as a contract entered into specifically between God and Israel. (see Leviticus, throughout the whole book). There were terms for each party to the contract and an explicit termination clause. Fulfilling the terms of the Israelites, Jesus is reported to have perfectly remained faithful to the law. Fulfilling the terms for God, he reportedly became the means through which the promised blessings could be administered to the faithful among the nation of Israel.

So, he fulfilled the law. He fulfilled the contract. Is a fulfilled contract still in force? Does it's having been fulfilled in any way weaken the force it did have?

Just some points to think on.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts
    Please keep in mind that by "inconsistencies" I do not necessarily mean "contradictions." Even though accepted and common definitions of the two terms often make them synonymous, I make a subtle distinction which is reflected in at least some accepted definitions. What I have in mind is that an inconsistency involves a lack of harmonious uniformity, regularity, steady continuity, or agreement among the verses cited. Thus, whereas a contradiction is necessarily an inconsistency, an inconsistency is not necessarily a contradiction.

the website author posted the above message....

i know a lot of the quoted scriptures are talking about different things and are taken out of context. but i thought it was an interesting list!

• SeymourButts
  • RunningMan
    RunningMan
    RE 8:7 All of the grass on earth is burned up, and then ...
    REV 9:4 An army of locusts, which is about to be turned loose on the earth, is instructed not to harm the grass.

The second reference to "grass" is symbolic, meaning marijuana, which is likely what John was smoking when he wrote that book.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I'd like to see a list like this with the explainable ones filtered out. Maybe leave in the ones that will be attributed to "scribal error", but put them together at the end of the list.

I wonder what the list would look like then? For those that believe the Bible, these lists don't have any effect because they read 4 or 5 of them and immediately explain them away. As has been noted already, many of them are not inconsistencies at all. Those should be pulled. Then you get it down to a list that even a dedicated bible-thumper has to scratch his head over.

Is there such a list?

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit