Watchtower play on words

by Jahna 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Jahna
    Jahna

I was looking at the Aug 1, 2004 Watchtower which discusses Government, and on page 6 it basically states that the JW?s provides volunteer relief during times of disaster. It points to earth quakes in El Salvador in 2001 where the world wide brother hood sent not only relief but the JW?s built/repaired over 500 homes and 3 (here is the key phrase) houses of worship.

Ok sounds great right, how noble a gesture. But, would the witnesses build/repair houses of worship for other religions? I don?t think so. So they must mean Kingdom Halls. Wonder why they didn?t say that? Obviously because that is only taking care of their own, not the general public as the paragraph alludes to. This one slight change of wording gives the paragraph a whole different meaning. An outsider would read that as, look they helped other religions, in fact a JW could point to that paragraph and say the same thing. All the while I highly doubt that is really what happened. Not in totality anyways.

Jahna

• kls
    kls

Jahna , you know the true meaning and i know the true meaning but to a jw it is music to their ears how wonderful Jahs people are to help so many in need. How sickening if they would only see what is real .

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

They are masters of deception.

-BONEZZ

• gringojj
    gringojj

I would like to see more on this can anyone verify that they built/repaired houses? And if so whos houses were they?

• heathen
    heathen

I don't think the average dubby would conclude that they were helping other religions out . They probly had insurance and found ways to extort money by using volunteer labor, is more like it .

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I'm sure the 500 houses were also ONLY JW's too....

My mother recited how so many people in FLA were amazed at "the brothers" who helped out those Dub's with destroyed houses and tried to pay those "brothers" to fix their roofs too. They said no of course. She said "it gave a good witness" on why someone should be a witness. I asked "wouldn't it be a better witness to fix everyone's roofs and homes, regardless of religion, to show just how good hearted witnesses were?" Her retort was, well the brothers can't help EVERYONE....

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

to be absolutely and honestly fair here...and im sorry for raining on someones parade....but in recent times (and i really cant be bothered looking it up) they did help out others in a disaster zone...but only after all jws were provided for..fair enough -its what you and i would do if our families were affected...but that is an interesting point about the places of worship....

it def wouldnt have been any other religions churches because that would have been considered apostacy...would be like joining the u.n. ..sic.....brothers have been removed for cleaning church windows...so def kingdom halls so why not say so...are they not proud of that fact

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I have NEVER seen the WTS provide ANY form of charity or free assistance that did not directly or indirectly benefit JWs.

A few examples:

• The WTS will sometimes donate medical equipment to hospitals. The equipment is ALWAYS something such as a blood recycling machine or other equipment used to help make surgery more "bloodless".
    • The WTS donated a fire truck to the city of Paterson to help get the city council to approve their zoning requests so they could build the Paterson facility.
    • The WTS will send trucks for disaster relief with 99.9% of it going to JWs. (The 0.1% is normally scraps left over or something that slipped through the cracks).
  • heathen
    heathen
    The equipment is ALWAYS something such as a blood recycling machine or other equipment used to help make surgery more "bloodless".

Where do they get a recycling machine from to begin with ? I think it insane that they would spend church money on something like that .

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

heathen it doesnt come from regular donations

a special campaign is announced and all congs likely to be helped in the vicinity of the hospital recieving the equipment are asked if they would like to support...and then a special box is set aside

that is my understanding...it is what i have been told although i personally havent been involved in such a campaign...maybe someone who has could give further details

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit