Newsweek versus the Watchtower?

by Fatfreek 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

This from one of 1,367 similar stories that grabbed Google's new headlines: "Last week at least 16 people in Afghanistan were killed in violent clashes sparked by the report.", all thanks to the recent Newsweek reporting blunder.

Those of us who love freedom of the press, and I'm included, have to question -- what line was crossed between responsible reporting and that which incites other people toward hate -- hatred enough to kill 16 people?

Would it have been any different if the Newsweek story were true? That is, suppose a copy of the Koran was truly flushed down some toilet in that Guantanamo detention center? I think the result would've been the same because the perception of extreme insult would've been identical.

The sobering fact is that the printed page can incite extremely negative consequences. We, as mostly ex-witnesses, can testify thousands of times over to the deleterious effects the Watchtower has induced because of their shunning orders after one of its members is disfellowshipped or disassociated. Suicides, broken homes, mental breakdowns, and yes -- even homicides. All this, in a relatively free society here in the U.S.

Some 60,000 Witnesses become ex-Witnesses each year. How many of them become such casualties as a result of the Watchtower's legally induced hatred that oozes from their printed pages? I also wonder how this number compares to that 16 in Afghanistan?

I certainly don't pretend to have answers for a solution. Do you?

Oh, by the way -- Newsweek apologized.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Do you know I was going to post a similar comment - yes I agree with all you have said .But really, being truthful - it is religion that is the root of the evil - not freedom of the press.

Salman Rushdie allegedly insults the prophet and has Fatwa declared against him by an Ayotollah. I am sure there were similar probelmes in the Middle ages if somebody insulted the pope or god or jesus.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The reporter stills maintains that he got the story from a reliable military source and was reviewed by a separate high level defense official. I don't really think the piece was any less researched than most news stories. I would not yet rule out the possibilty it was true but Newsweek was presured from the very top to recant. Any way I understand the deaths were by U.S. soildiers and police against Moslem protesters, so the story did not incite the killing, it (along with the dozens of previous abuse charges) incited protest. What i find completely audacious is Rumsfeld ( Mr. 'speak without thinking' himself, remember WMD and the personal armor faux pas ? ) condemning the article and insiting that the media be careful in what it says lest people die.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek
    The reporter stills maintains that he got the story from a reliable military source and was reviewed by a separate high level defense official.

"But Newsweek said the source later told the magazine he could not be certain he had seen the account in the military report and that it might have been in other investigative documents."
    USA Today, 5/16/2005, 9:03pm

so the story did not incite the killing,
    Oops, my error. hatred enough to kill 16 people? Should have been, "...hatred enough that incited the violence that left 16 people dead".

• Terry
    Terry

You have drawn a very profound analogy.

The Governing Body has done more to besmirch Jehovah's reputation than all the apostates who ever lived.

Yet, they take no responsibility for their actions.

T.

• eljefe
    eljefe

Here are my thoughts. After 9-11 there was very little if any protest from Muslims in the Middle East. Someone supposedly does something to a Quran and all hell breaks loose.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Copyright 2005 The Denver Post
    All Rights Reserved
    The Denver Post
    January 9, 2005 Sunday
    FINAL EDITION
    SECTION: ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT; Pg. F-11
    LENGTH: 1088 words
    HEADLINE: Nightmare of Guantanamo.... U.S. prison camp in Cuba has become legal black hole, reporter says
    BYLINE: John Freeman Special to The Denver Post
    <snip>
    They were punched, slapped, denied sleep, had seen other prisoners sexually humiliated, hooded and forced to watch copies of the Koran being flushed down toilets. Eventually the pressure proved too much - they gave false confessions that the British intelligence service, MI5, later showed to be untrue. Upon their return to the United Kingdom they were released without being charged.
    <snip>

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Financial Times (London, England)
    October 28, 2004 Thursday
    London Edition 2
    SECTION: THE AMERICAS; Pg. 8
    LENGTH: 310 words
    HEADLINE: Four Britons held at Guantanamo sue US government
    BYLINE: By JIMMY BURNS
    DATELINE: LONDON
    BODY:
    Four British subjects detained without trial for nearly three years in the US military base of Guantanamo Bay in Cuba are suing the US government.
    In the first legal action of its kind, the former detainees, who were released in March, are alleging torture and other human rights violations.
    <snip>
    In August Mr Ahmed, Mr Rasul and Mr Iqbal issued a 115-page dossier accusing the US of abuse, including allegations that they were beaten and had their Korans thrown into toilets.
    <snip>

- - - - -
    USA TODAY
    October 18, 2004, Monday, FINAL EDITION
    SECTION: NEWS; Pg. 2A
    LENGTH: 820 words
    HEADLINE: Spy case was a 'life-altering experience' for airman
    BYLINE: Laura Parker
    DATELINE: FAIRFIELD, Calif.
    BODY:
    FAIRFIELD, Calif. ---- The day Ahmad Al Halabi, an Air Force translator at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, was arrested, he was more puzzled than alarmed.
    <snip>
    Al Halabi says he did not witness any treatment of prisoners that has now been called into question as abusive. But he says he saw things at Guantanamo that disturbed him. He says guards would purposely mishandle the Koran "just to see the detainees' reaction."

"All I wanted was for them to treat those prisoners like human beings," Al Halabi says.
    <snip>

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Daily News (New York)
    August 5, 2004 Thursday
    SPORTS FINAL EDITION
    SECTION: NEWS; Pg. 34
    LENGTH: 320 words
    HEADLINE: ABUSED AT GITMO, FREED BRITS CHARGE
    BYLINE: BY JAMES GORDON MEEK and DEREK ROSE DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
    BODY:
    THREE BRITONS freed from the terror prison in Guantanamo Bay say they were stripped naked and faced other abuses that mirrored what happened to inmates in Iraq.
    <snip>
    They say that rats and scorpions had free run of their sweltering cages, loud rock music was used to drown out the sound of prayers, and sleep deprivation was common.

"They would kick the Koran, throw it into the toilet and generally disrespect it," Asif Iqbal wrote.
    <snip>
    - - - - -
    The Independent (London)
    August 5, 2004, Thursday
    SECTION: First Edition; NEWS; Pg. 6
    LENGTH: 729 words
    HEADLINE: FATHER CALLS FOR SON'S RELEASE AFTER CAMP DELTA TORTURE CLAIMS BEGG DEMANDS SON'S RELEASE AFTER TORTURE CLAIMS AT CAMP DELTA TORTURE
    BYLINE: JONATHAN BROWN Azmat Begg said his son's health was deteriorating Matthew Fearn/PA; Moazzam Begg: Held at Guantanamo for two years
    BODY:
    THE FATHER of a British man being held in Guantanamo Bay called on the Government yesterday to immediately bring home the detainees following new claims of sexual, physical and psychological torture. Moazzam Begg, who is still in solitary confinement at the United States' military facility in Cuba after two and a half years, was described in a report published yesterday as being "in a very bad way".
    <snip>
    In the report, released in New York, Asif Iqbal, Rhuhel Ahmed and Shafiq Rasul - the so-called Tipton Three - said one inmate was threatened after being shown a video in which hooded inmates were forced to sodomise each other. Guards allegedly threw prisoners' Korans into toilets, while others were injected with drugs, it was claimed.
    <snip>

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The San Francisco Chronicle
    JUNE 20, 2004, SUNDAY, FINAL EDITION
    SECTION: NEWS; Pg. A17
    LENGTH: 3005 words
    HEADLINE: THE FILE: PRISON ABUSE;
    Since reports first surfaced of abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison, other accounts of ill treatment have surfaced in Iraq and at U.S. detention facilities in Afghanistan and at Guantanamo Bay.
    BODY:
    ABUSE
    Prisoners have been forced to strip naked -- nudity is a violation of Muslim principles; forced to commit actual or simulated sex acts; prevented from sleeping; threatened with dogs; hooded; given electric shocks; beaten with fists, chains, boots and other objects; forced to maintain painful positions for hours; kept in frigid isolation rooms; subjected to loud music, strobe lights and diets of bread and water; urinated on and prevented from praying or reading the Koran.
    <snip>
    - - - - -
    The Observer
    May 16, 2004SECTION: Observer News Pages, Pg. 8
    LENGTH: 2441 words
    HEADLINE: Inside Guantanamo Bay: I was in extreme pain and so weak that I could barely stand. It was freezing cold and I was shaking like a washing machine. They questioned me at gunpoint and told me that if I confessed I could go home: As America struggles to come to terms with military abuse in Iraq, similar stories are emerging from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Tarek Dergoul, a Briton released from the camp in March, talks here for the first time about his two-year ordeal. By David Rose
    BYLINE: David Rose
    BODY:
    'THEY HAD already searched me and my cell twice that day, gone through my stuff, touched my Koran, felt my body around my private parts. And now they wanted to do it again, just to provoke me, but I said no, because if you submit to everything you turn into a zombie.
    <snip>

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit