From the mouth of the Ayatollah

by Pistoff 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

There has been more than a few posts about Anthony Morris III and his talk about tight pants, spanx (spandex?) and Bethel as a destination vacation.

After the initial bewilderment and laughing about his diatribe, it is more clear to me that this was not about modest clothing choices, or spiritual priorities.

It was designed and succeeded as a slap in the face of all who listened.

The things he talked about are just not on the normal radar of anyone who listened.

I can recall nowhere in writing that ever encouraged families to go to Bethel before Disneyworld, MGM, etc; nowhere that talks about leggings or modern cut men's suits (it is just fashion, after all), or women wearing exercise clothing in public. (On a side note, I have been to assemblies, there are just not many of us who could wear tight clothing and not look like stuffed sausage, so how many people was he aiming at here?)

But that didn't stop Tony from insulting, rather viciously, anyone who might have worn yoga pants out in public, or went to Disneyworld first, things they were hearing for the very first time!

He says to women who have worn exercise clothing in public: "You claim you worship the true God?"

To those who have not been to Bethel: "you say you are a spiritual person?"

He adds: "Bethel, the very house of God."

I wonder how many witnesses get how very radical this man is; what is he saying about Bethel?

Bethel is actually is the 'house of God'? What does that mean? They SOLD the house of God; it isn't like it is holy ground; is it holy because they are there? They used the name Beth-el, which in Hebrew meant house of god; does he think the name means something special? What is to see anyway? Printing presses, entire floors that are off limits? Their own congratulatory literature displays?

There was no encouragement in this talk, only insults about his own personal pet peeves.

And it seems no witness I know of was offended by this tirade.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    That's the disturbing thing about tony's rants--that the normal variety jdub i will  eat his words up and think nothing of it. Can we say COGNITIVE DISSONANCE all in capital letters
  • brandnew
  • blondie
    blondie

I remember tirades in the late 60's and 70's...never in writing though and when some jws complained to the CO, DO, or GB member, they would say that speaker was out on his own, that the organization was not behind it, that the speaker disregarded the outline or directions of the society.

That's were the WTS got into some trouble over the definite statements about 1975 from the platform, though nothing that strong in the publications.

I can remember a CO saying from the platform that any jw that did not believe the end was coming in 1975 that they were not a servant of God.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I can remember a CO saying from the platform that any jw that did not believe the end was coming in 1975 that they were not a servant of God.

I remember the certainty of 1975; anyone who says otherwise wasn't there or is still deluded.

Lots of arguments about who said what back in the 70's; very few recorded talks.

The thing about these current rants, is this: they are here forever!

Anthony Morris' embarrassing rants about homosexuals, tight pants and spanx will live on into eternity, to the chagrin of all future witnesses.

The longer that video is out there, the more it will stink.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Everything you wrote is 100% spot on....and yet the average dub dosent seem to take this as seriously as they did 20 or 30 years ago.  Its not just my imagination. Average dubs comment on it.  The whole spanks talks had sisters avoiding excersie cloths for 2 seconds.  In less than a week i heard two different women comment that it was just too practicle to wear spandex and it wasnt that big a deal.  They just arnt lapping it up as they used too in my area and my area was very very hard core for a long time.  
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

The entire Governing Body knew the talk Morris was going to give @ the Zone Mtg (he gave it in Italy a few months prior in the US). They allowed it to happen, just as much as Morris.

I equate it to Bodies of Elders who allow things to go on in the Congregation(s,) that they themselves condemn. They sanctioned it and are just as guilty for doing so. 

That talk was given to insult the R&F. It's almost like it was done on purpose. I think they are pushing the Fence Sitters and only want the Ubers.

They pushed these fence sitters right over the edge. Thanks GB...you did us a tremendous favor! Never been happier!

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

They just arnt lapping it up as they used too in my area and my area was very very hard core for a long time.  

I Agree, with the exception of those few die-hards.   Not 2 months or so after this talk I was invited to someone's home for dinner and the sister that did the inviting had spandex pants on the whole time I was there.  Her husband was dressed as your typical "off-duty" elder in khakis and a golf shirt but his wife was in "spanx" panty lines and all.

JW's in general, do not seem to care as much as they used to.  They may not vocalize it, they may criticize those who are vocal, but by their actions they are showing that they know some of this drivel is non sense. 

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Morpheus: the average dub dosent seem to take this as seriously as they did 20 or 30 years ago.  Its not just my imagination. Average dubs comment on it.  The whole spanks talks had sisters avoiding excersie cloths for 2 seconds.  In less than a week i heard two different women comment that it was just too practicle to wear spandex and it wasnt that big a deal.  They just arnt lapping it up as they used too in my area and my area was very very hard core for a long time.  

XBEHERE: JW's in general, do not seem to care as much as they used to.  They may not vocalize it, they may criticize those who are vocal, but by their actions they are showing that they know some of this drivel is non sense. 

This has been my observation for some time too. Most JWs are "talking the talk" but they are not "walking the walking".  They listen, they nod, they praise what they heard, they may even repeat it as a suggestion to other, but they turn right around and do the exact opposite.  

Think back to how many JWs (Elders, MS, R&F) condemned "heavy drinking" -- in their talks, in the giving of counsel, when reading from the publications -- but they all did it, at least on occasion and many of them did it frequently.  I recall wedding receptions when everyone (who stayed until the end -- tea-totallers left early) was tanked.  Most of the time it was done within one's "class" -- elders with fellow elders; MS with other MS; etc.

I think it is the same today about the imminence of Armageddon.  They read it in the publications, they listen to it from the GB/Clergy, they nod, they repeat it word-for-word, then they go out the door and worry about their 401K and the plans for their new house, new car, planning more children, and yes........many are sending their kids to college because they don't want them disadvantaged in life like they have been.

The new JW Religion ala carte.  Take what you like and leave the rest behind.

Doc

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    This is why we left...HYPOCRITES!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit