Scan of old publications

by IT Support 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• IT Support
    IT Support

Hi Fatfreek ,

Hey, IT Support. Quotes.CA has an audio of Fred Franz delivering some 7 minutes at a district assy early in 1975 and in Australia. That's the one where he quotes Rutherford, "I made an ass of myself". The context clearly shows it was about the 1925 debacle. If your family has ever heard Franz speak, this audio will be clearly recognizable.

That's great, thanks. Someone (perhaps Randy, I don't remember) had written that they'd heard Franz make that same comment about Rutherford at Bethel morning worship, but I'd never been able to get confirmation from a second souce. Hearing it in Franz' own words, though, is priceless.

• Osarsif
    Osarsif

IT Support,

The quote: "Some anticipated that the work would end in 1925, but the Lord did not so state." (take notice it's not "state so", it's "so state") is from The Watch Tower, August 1, 1926, p. 232, §48. You can find a scan of it in this page of Shaun's site.

The quote: "The difficulty was that the friends inflated their imaginations beyond reason; and that when their imaginations burst asunder, they were inclined to throw away everything." is not from The Watch Tower, August 1, 1926, p. 232. It's from The Watch Tower, February 15, 1925, p. 57, §51. You can find a scan of it at this link.

• IT Support
    IT Support

Osarsif ,

Thank you, thank you.

Not only are the links you provided exactly what I was looking for, but more interestingly, being from two separate Watchtower articles 18 months apart, they also seem to give an interesting twist to my previous understanding of Rutherford's apparent statement:

Some anticipated that the work would end in 1925, but the Lord did not state so... The difficulty was that the friends inflated their imaginations beyond reason.

Putting the two sentences together like this seems, to me, anyway, to give the impression that Rutherford was blaming his followers for their 'inflated anticipations.'

However, the second sentence, from the February 1925 article, is made in the context of referring to past 'disappointments,' prior to the 1925 fiasco. (No doubt it was part of the 'softening-up' process of preparing the Bible Students for yet one more.) But it does not appear to be part of a verbal whiplashing given by the Judge to the doubting faithful.

Is this is a reasonable interpretation? If so, do you know if there are any such examples of Rutherford 'blaming the brothers'?

Thank you again.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Oops! The link to the Franz audio snippet from my prior post may be incorrect. If so, try this one:

http://www2.arkansas.net/~millerlr/1975_Fred_Franz_Austrailia_2.mp3

• IT Support
    IT Support

Fatfreek,

Oops! The link to the Franz audio snippet from my prior post may be incorrect.

Thanks for mentioning it!

When the link didn't work, I assumed there was a problem at my end and so went and found the clip on Quotes' site...

However, it's an excellent snippet--this is a transcription of the latter part of it (courtesy of Quotes):

We remember the mistake that was made with regard to Nineteen-Fourteen, predicting what it was going to signify. And we remember, uuuhh, the mistake that was made regarding the year Nineteen Hundred and Twenty-Five... And so all kinds of predictions were regarding that year, and, uh, well I recall at a table discussion, uh, after the year had passed, and the matter came up, uh, for, uh, talking about, discussing there at the Bethel table. Well, uh, Brother Rutherford, uh, made this statement with regard to Nineteen-hundred and Twenty-Five. He said, 'I made and Ass of myself.'

Thanks.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

ITS, I can send you a scan of the 1926 WT page.

• IT Support
    IT Support

German XJW,

I can send you a scan of the 1926 WT page.

Thank you for your kind offer, but I now have it (see Osarsif's earlier post)--it was on Shaun's site, JW Files.

However, I'm still looking for a scan of the Yearbook page:

• 1975 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses, p. 146 WT's present-day 'spin' on the 1925 events:
      Instead of its being considered a 'probability,' they read into it that it was a 'certainty,' and some prepared for their own loved ones with expectancy of their resurrection.

Thanks again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit